Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jul-16 19:59:12
Print Post

Recommended fibre modem

[link to this post]

Cabinet is in build stage so 5 months at least before it will be taking orders. I plan to use a modem on its own with my Asus DSL-N55U router as it works well and isnt that old, it is currently in router only mode with my Billion 7800 as a bridge and this is nice and stable.

So could you good people recommend a good modem?

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 05-Jul-16 20:16:54
Print Post

Re: Recommended fibre modem

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Pick up an HG612 version 3B off eBay if there is one at a decent price. Easy to unlock if there is a choice of cheap locked and expensive unlocked.

You could even use it as your ADSL2+ modem for a few days to make sure it works on that at least. The default configuration is set to train down if that's what it is given.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jul-16 20:28:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Many thanks will have a look.

Tim

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jul-16 20:53:20
Print Post

Is there a section to enter broadband username and password I plan to go with Uno.

Tim
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jul-16 21:08:12
Print Post

Silly me its a modem in bridge mode my router is where I put the username etc, nevermind.

Tim
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Jul-16 00:10:26
Print Post

Had me wondering if I'd misread your earlier posts there smile.

(And you mean it's a modem/router in bridge mode wink. The router part being bridged over).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jul-16 15:32:47
Print Post

Do I have to unlock it? Will it support G.INP out of the box?

Tim
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Jul-16 17:29:31
Print Post

Mine is unlocked, but was supplied by Openreach. The unlocked firmware is claimed to have no settings changed other than enabling the "dead" port and enabling telnet and GUI access. (if you load the dual version).

Mine does support G.INP.
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 14989 Kbps, Downstream rate = 59500 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
The Bearer 1 means it is enabled on the line and in use. The zeros are because it gets a tiny amount of bandwith, 200bps I think, so is rounded down.

Unlocking really is dead simple. The most difficult bit is setting the computer you do it from temporarily to the suggested xxx.xxx.xxx.100, though I'm not sure that is actually necessary as long as it is on the right subnet.

And that's only difficult if it's so long since you had any need to go into your network card settings that you've forgotten where they are. Like I do. Each successive version of Windows seems to hide them a bit deeper, even though the settings page when you get to it hasn't changed since Win 3.1 I don't think.

It is a good idea to unlock it, as that's the only way you get access to the line stats.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 07-Jul-16 17:30:46)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 07-Jul-16 17:46:53
Print Post

If locked it doesn't support ADSL, only VDSL. For ADSL you have to unlock it and add the ADSL settings.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Jul-16 18:08:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

But asbokid said he didn't alter any settings? Mine has G.DMT, ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL2 set. Not T1.413.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to