Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Thu 08-Sep-16 20:18:24
Print Post

BT Smart Hub accessories...

[link to this post]

Is it just me or are BT really skimping on what they send out with the new smart hubs?
My parents are upgrading to FTTC and they just received their new router, I went to set it up expecting to change the old modem cable that's been trodden on 842 times (I counted wink ) but the box only contains the router and power supply...no network cable, no modem cable, no filters! (I at least expected better quality filters going up from ADSL) :|

Anyways yeah, bit miffed there's no new shiny replacements...is that the norm?

Currently Plusnet "80/20" FTTC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Sep-16 07:19:53
Print Post

Re: BT Smart Hub accessories...

[re: NBK] [link to this post]

I paid for the smart hub in order to replace my failing router and I got the same as you - I thought at the time it must be because it was an upgrade and therefore would be expected to already have the other cables. I wonder if people having a brand new install get the same - if so then they wouldn't already have the phone cable.
Standard User corsa57
(learned) Fri 09-Sep-16 09:00:28
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I must have been lucky as I got a filter and two cables. I paid for my Smarthub and as a new user with BT maybe get sent a different kit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Sep-16 09:18:09
Print Post

[re: corsa57] [link to this post]

I have some recollection of previous mention on the forums that those upgrading from previous BT Hubs only receive the hub and power supply. Presumably this is to save waste, as almost everyone who is upgrading will already have suitable cables and filters.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 09-Sep-16 10:12:00
Print Post

Saving on waste and keeping costs down - customers want everything as cheap as possible.

I don't know how many RJ11/RJ11 leads I have or how many dangly filters. At one time they would supply a 2m bright yellow Ethernet lead - I have plenty of those too, however most are cut down and re-terminated to use as patch leads where they cannot e seen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Sep-16 15:39:59
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

New BT customers get the leads/filter, existing customers don't

No difference between a good ADSL2+ filter and one for a FTTC service

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Sep-16 20:20:04
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I surprisingly have no spares. I hate keeping clutter. They would just get binned from me if supplied.
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Fri 09-Sep-16 21:00:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What about the modem cables, same flat cables you get with the hub 4 and huawei modems?

Currently Plusnet "80/20" FTTC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Sep-16 21:08:03
Print Post

Yeah still flat DSL one

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Sep-16 22:32:08
Print Post

I've never had an issue with these flat cables personally. I use one myself, the supplied one by BT which is very long (at least 2 metres I would say).

I had it initially plugged in my living room, with the cabling tangled amongst an 8 socket lead. Had the TV, sky box, dvd player, a couple of lamps, ps4 and phone chargers literally touching the wiring. I would still get 14 days of solid uptime without a drop out and remained on fast path.

I then had it at my computer desk, here I had the desktop, router, printer, a couple of switches, toothbrush charger (random I know), a lamp, shredder, again all the wires tangled together behind the desk. Again, I had a full 14 days uptime without a drop out and remained on fast path.

I now have my router plugged into it's own plug socket, somewhat out of the way, with nothing around - but I see no difference worth noting in performance. Certainly my RJ11 cable never picked up enough interference that was noticeable to me in these "bad" locations.

I think often the gains of switching are overplayed, but in my view if something is generating so much interference it is causing issues the device should probably be replaced.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to