Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 26-Sep-16 11:16:44
Print Post

VDSL Router Recommendations

[link to this post]

About to make the move to Fibre, so looking for some recommendations.

I guess the most critical question is the need for MCT approval - necessary or just a good idea.

And does anybody have the latest list of BT MCT approved VDSL routers as all I can find is a list posted in February on ISP Review.

I'm probably favouring going with Pulse8 at the moment and they are offering the Zyxel 8324 at £99 or the Zyxel VMG8924 at £126.

Our local Maplin are pushing the Netgear Nighthawk 6400 & 7000, although these don't appear to be MCT approved.

Any thoughts?
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Sep-16 23:13:25
Print Post

Re: VDSL Router Recommendations

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

I think it all depends what you're going to be using it for.

For basic use, I like the Draytek 2760 (which is MCT approved). It seems rock steady. Get the version without wifi and add a good wireless access point of your choice.

I have one site I deal with that has a Netgear R7000 and I really dislike its admin interface. It also has very limited capabilities compared to something like the Draytek 2860 and gives poor DSL diagnostic information. It's not possible to run multiple VLANs and the only VPN support is for OpenVPN. This may be of less concern to a typical user.

The benefit of having MCT approval is that if there are problems with the connection, the ISP won't insist that you swap to an approved modem or router before they'll do anything.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 26-Sep-16 23:44:04
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Just went looking for more info on MCT. (I knew about the requirements in SIN 498, but not further detail). I found this useful Draytek article.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Tue 27-Sep-16 00:08:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Looks like Uno have managed to get hold of teh latest list of MCT approved VDSL routers here.

Not sure my budget stretches to a Draytek, so probably a Zyxel or Technicolor for me.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 27-Sep-16 00:10:45
Print Post

I was wondering about the Vigor 130 in case my HG612 dies. Though according to the article that would be replaced up until March 2017.

I didn't find how comprehensive the stats from the Vigor are though.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-Sep-16 03:25:25
Print Post

Oh zero TP-links

shame

using the w9980 for about a month now

seems great.

BT Infinity 2 - 80/20
BT Infinity 2 Speedtest *Smart Hub*
BT Mobile - 4G
BT Mobile 4G Speedtest *Huawei PLK-L01*
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Tue 27-Sep-16 09:06:22
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

I like the Draytek 2760 (which is MCT approved). It seems rock steady. Get the version without wifi and add a good wireless access point of your choice.

I have a DrayTek Vigor 2860N, which of course has WiFi. You recommend the version without WiFi, could you explain please?

I ask, not to be controversial, but I need to be better informed. I have no problems with the DrayTek Vigor 2860 N upstream, but its wifi performance might be an issue. I live in a very substantially built 16th century house, with massive solid walls etc..

I am using a couple of devolo powerline adaptors as installing hard wired wireless access points anywhere than in the immediate vicinity of the router present a major wiring problem; surface wiring is not acceptable!

Would an alternate DrayTek Vigor 2860 without WiFi, and a very local WAP give a better result?

NJSS

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Sep-16 01:31:40
Print Post

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

The 2760 only supports 2.4GHz wifi and doesn't support 802.11ac. 5GHz is useful to improve wireless download speeds in areas with 2.4GHz congestion and 802.11ac also improves speeds. 5GHz is pretty much defeated by solid walls though so isn't always the answer.

It also depends on what wireless devices you are using. On older Macbooks, 2.4GHz only supports a maximum rate of 144Mbps whereas 5GHz runs at up to 300Mbps. This makes a difference even on FTTC connections.

Additionally, an existing router could be used as just a wireless access point which reduces the cost.

I did try a 2860n+ which has dual band and found the 5GHz to be disappointing. That may have changed with more recent firmware updates. That's at a site I no longer maintain.

You can get a significant wireless improvement on the 2860n by upgrading the antennas.

Thick walls are going to be a problem whatever wifi you have. Experimentation to find the best homeplug/access point combinations is really the only answer.

Good luck!

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Wed 28-Sep-16 01:41:37)

Print Thread

Jump to