Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 08-Oct-16 16:23:33
Print Post

Replacing BT "Smart" hub.

[link to this post]

Hi.
My parents unfortunately have a BT smart hub. Every day this router gets a system error SD-100, losing connection (solid orange light so hasn't lost sync) and then spends eternity enabling/disabling UPnP, saving wireless settings, DHCP etc and not reconnecting. Even trying to access the web interface during this time is impossible, unreachable error straight away so it needs a reboot, then it works for a day till the same thing all over again.

I've replaced it with another smart hub once which worked for a week till it all started happening again.

So as the web interface becomes unreachable and it doesn't seem to lose sync it looks like it's a router problem.

So any suggestions on a replacement? My first thought was an Asus DSL-AC68U which I'm sure works solidly as a router but googling around it seems to have issues with VDSL: connections and stability.

So any suggestions/recommendations for a good, solid VDSL modem/router for BT Infinity 2 use?

Thanks smile

Currently Plusnet "80/20" FTTC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Oct-16 16:50:31
Print Post

Re: Replacing BT "Smart" hub.

[re: NBK] [link to this post]

Huawei HG612 units - or as I am using a TP-Link W9770 £35 on amazon while a basic modem/router in its own right, just flip config into bridge mode and wireless turns off and you have a G.INP/Vectoring cable bridging modem. The wifi antenna don't detach without a little surgery.

Finding it very stable and if anything speeds are slightly higher than previous modem used (cursed with a supplied ECI box).

The issues with the SmartHub seem to partially affect previous versions, i.e. resyncs mean things like the wireless drops i.e. resync are more like a full reboot of the unit.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 08-Oct-16 17:25:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Saffron smile
If I'm honest the wifi on the smart hub has been stable, it's just completely unable to maintain a connection without going off.
When it does DHCP still gives an IP address but can't access web interface or get an internet connection, it also responds to pings.
When I was getting the first replacement the guy in the call centre tried to tell me it was a line fault even though I told him the router becomes unresponsive and it doesn't appear to lose sync.

I'll try find an HG612 on ebay but that isn't a complete solution since if it breaks/fails I'd be back to square one trying to find a replacement again since BT don't supply them unfortunately.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 08-Oct-16 17:52:32
Print Post

The chaps at the call centre can run tests to determine if there is a line fault. How do you know there isn't, out of interest?
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 08-Oct-16 18:01:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

the online automated fault checker said it's connected and stable.
The last time i contacted BT they only bothered to check disconnections.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 08-Oct-16 18:44:57
Print Post

Yeah but "the guy in the call centre tried to tell me it was a line fault ". Was he wrong?
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 08-Oct-16 18:51:05
Print Post

yes he was. simple as that. smile

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 08-Oct-16 19:03:03
Print Post

What router do you use?
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 08-Oct-16 19:05:39
Print Post

as per the first post on the line in question it's a smart hub supplied by BT when they upgraded from ADSL to VDSL

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 08-Oct-16 19:09:38
Print Post

I thought that was your parents and you had a plusnet connection?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to