Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Onion8888
(newbie) Tue 18-Oct-16 23:09:01
Print Post

SSE T589vac - problems with WAN connection to RT-AC87U

[link to this post]

We left Talktalk and signed up with SSE Broadband. Our connection went live yesterday. Previously the TT Super Router wasn't very good which is why we got the Asus RT-AC87U & RP-AC52 which covered every corner of our 3 bed semi.

I've fiddled with the SSE T589vac for a few hours now trying to get the WAN connection working with the AC87U. Various sources on the interweb point to a secret WAN bridge mode. Customer services couldn't help and suggested I disabled the wifi, which I had already done. I've also reset the AC87U, used the wizard to auto detect the settings numerous times as i try different settings on both devices. The network map shows it isn't online. But, only once did it report an error with the DHCP client. By that time I had already changed its IP address to 192.168.2.1 and enabled WAN connection via Ethernet and the relevant auto detect settings.

In router mode on the AC87U the internet LED is red (should be blue) and on the T589vac WAN port it is flashing. When I check the port traffic it shows a lot of data, but no WAN connection. The AC87U WAN connection fields are 0.0.0.0. So it's obviously not picking it up.

I've got it working in Bridged mode by connecting 2 LAN ports. It's decent enough to watch YouTube, Amazon Prime and Kodi with a bit of surfing at the same time, but nowhere near as good as the TT setup. I've updated the FW on the Asus devices. Speed tests come in around 37Mbs down and around 1.5-2.8Mbs up.

I'm hoping someone out there can help me configure everything to get the best performance out of everything. I think I've captured most of the info. I am not an IT professional. Just like fiddling.

My long term project is to get our Synology DS414 on the network too. That is another headache. Thanks in-advance.

Edited by Onion8888 (Tue 18-Oct-16 23:29:05)

Standard User Mml
(newbie) Fri 21-Oct-16 11:59:03
Print Post

Re: SSE T589vac - problems with WAN connection to RT-AC87U

[re: Onion8888] [link to this post]

Do you have any progress at all? I'm planning to sign up to SSE, so I'm going to have to go through the same setup process in the near future, but I'm struggling to understand your setup. If it is:
Phone line - T589vac as a DSL modem - your own router for DHCP and wifi - PC
then I'm struggling to understand what you're needing the WAN port for?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Oct-16 13:16:05
Print Post

The way of doing it is to connect them together with Ethernet and not use the WAN port.

Set the second router to the IP range of the first router.

Turn off DHCP on the second router.

It sounds as if you may have already got it going correctly. I have a sneaky feeling the setup is not the issue but the new ISP.

SSE have a fair few known congestion issues which mean streaming can be an issue and generic slow speeds. Speedtests such as speedtest.net do not pick it up as they are multi threaded. Talktalk rarely have this issue.

Can you run a speed test on this forum and paste the result?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 21-Oct-16 13:17:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Oct-16 13:22:27
Print Post

Even easier, they have the mode built right in. My way prior was a work around for when the router does not have this option. Just follow the instructions here:

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1005259
  Print Thread

Jump to