Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sergiup
(newbie) Mon 24-Oct-16 17:17:23
Print Post

FTTC Modem only recommendation - Huawei 288 cab

[link to this post]

FTTC incoming tomorrow, at long last...! I'll be using the standard Sky/NowTV modem/router to start with, but I want to get a modem-only device so that I can plug this and my other VM connection into a mini-PC running Sophos UTM and have the public IPs on that - this makes any fancy router on either connection pointless. I also can't really use the SR102 in this position since it doesn't seem to have a modem-only mode.

I'm 99% sure I'll be on a Huawei 288 cab, and if they take a crazy route to another cab much further away I'm still surrounded only by Huawei cabs. I'm no more than 0.1 miles away, so near-full speed should be attainable.

What would be a reasonable choice to use as a modem only - would the Huawei HG612 (3b if I can get one) with B030SP08 firmware still be OK? Would there be any point in spending more than double for a Billion 8800NL R2?

Thank you!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 24-Oct-16 17:32:20
Print Post

Re: FTTC Modem only recommendation - Huawei 288 cab

[re: sergiup] [link to this post]

The Huawei will be fine ... Just try for a 3B and you can update the firmware/unlock yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User sergiup
(newbie) Tue 25-Oct-16 11:40:42
Print Post

Re: FTTC Modem only recommendation - Huawei 288 cab

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
The Huawei will be fine ... Just try for a 3B and you can update the firmware/unlock yourself.

Thanks! I'm already trying to get one, should have it in a few days. It'll be interesting to compare VDSL and VM in the same location at the same time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to