Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JJ88
(newbie) Sat 29-Oct-16 21:07:37
Print Post

Billion 7800n replacement

[link to this post]

Hi folks

I am currently experiencing 1 or 2 performance issues with this at the moment so i am now looking to replace it in the next few months. In fairness it has been rock solid for a number of years so money well spent in my eyes especially as when i originally bought it i was over 2 miles away from the adsl echange and only syncing at 1mb albeit solidly thanks to the router. Now im on fibre line length i would imagine wont be such a problem.

I am just wondering what are peoples views on what one i should get now as i know there have been some real good advances in tech since ive bought my 7800n so i would be open to looking at other makes aside from billion. Ideally something easyish to set up is my only request.

Thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 29-Oct-16 23:04:29
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800n replacement

[re: JJ88] [link to this post]

To advise on "easyish to set up" we could do with set up for what?

Lots of occasional wireless devices like six mobiles and three tablets in the household coming and going, or three smart TVs, or an inhouse DHCP server and perhaps a personal mail server a la Clinton .... smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User JJ88
(newbie) Sun 30-Oct-16 00:22:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

In a normal week there will be 2 tablets and 2 mobiles used frequently for browsing whilst at home and catch up services occassionally used throughout the week via the smart tv. Once a week the family come round and there can be up to 8 devices being used at any one time.

smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NJSS
(regular) Sun 30-Oct-16 07:52:16
Print Post

I too had a Billion 7800N which performed perfectly until it suffered meltdown.

I upgraded a couple of years ago to a DrayTek Vigor 2860N which has to date perfomed faultlessly on both ADSL & VDSL.

NJSS

Standard User greenwich
(member) Sun 30-Oct-16 08:36:51
Print Post

For what it's worth I recently bought a Billion 7800DXL and it's working superbly. My wifi signal is more stable and the wifi speed has gone up by more than 50%. Having said that, I'm comparing it to the free router my ISP gave me, so perhaps not such a great achievement.
  Print Thread

Jump to