Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Dec-16 14:28:29
Print Post

Replacing HG612 with..?

[link to this post]

I'm considering replacing my aging HG612+Billion 6300 setup with a new combined box. No particular reason other than these boxes don't last forever so better to replace now before one of them fails in service (the HG612 is coming up to four years old). I can relegate my two current boxes to backup status.

At the moment I'm leaning toward a Billion 8800 R2 simply because my current router has done a pretty good job but does anyone have any other suggestions? I don't want to spend stupid money and my cab is a Huawei.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-16 16:34:33
Print Post

Re: Replacing HG612 with..?

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

An up to date list of modems and modem routers approved by Openreach can be found at https://uno.help/knowledge-base/article/openreach-ap...

If you choose a setup not on this list, hang onto HG612 so you can use it in the event of a fault.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Dec-16 18:13:32
Print Post

If you don't mind splashing out £200, then the TP Link VR2600 is currently the best broadcom based all-in-one router. Its a 4 stream Mu-Mimo router and uses Qualcomm Atheros radios (QCA). Otherwise the TP Link VR900 is an excellent cheaper alternative at £99 its a 3 stream router and also uses a BCM chipset.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/aan/TP-LINK-Archer-VR2600...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Archer-VR900-Connec...

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-16 21:59:54
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

One problem is that the VR2600 and I believe also the VR900 doesn't work with BT Consumer's implementation of IPv6 and TP-LINK have indicated that they know their firmware is broken but have no intention of upgrading it. Hopefully this may change as more UK users move to IPv6 but for now I'm not holding my breath.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Dec-16 23:33:11
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

I might have the ZyXel VMG1312 working OK on AAISP now, and that has user-set prefix lengths. IIRC the prefix length is the BT problem with other routers? Slight difficulty with the tbb BQM on IPv6 but just about solved that I hope.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15296kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Dec-16 02:20:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The problem with my VR2600 on BT Consumer VDSL is that IPv6 isn't seemingly available with no WAN IPv6 address allocated rather than the the prefix problem mentioned in some posts on the BT forums regarding another TP-Link model and is possibly more a LAN side problem. If I plug in the BT SmartHub I immediately get allocated IPv6 addresses.

My problem is compounded by my not knowing enough about IPv6 to properly troubleshoot what is/is not happening.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 03-Dec-16 09:10:07
Print Post

I'll go back to your thread and reread. Otherwise we both hijack this one. I don't seem to have an IPv6 problem as such, just frequently changing address so messing up BQM. Now been running about eight hours, never managed more than two or three before.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15296kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 03-Dec-16 09:27:58)

Standard User prinknash
(committed) Sat 03-Dec-16 15:04:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by MCM:
One problem is that the VR2600 and I believe also the VR900 doesn't work with BT Consumer's implementation of IPv6 and TP-LINK have indicated that they know their firmware is broken but have no intention of upgrading it. Hopefully this may change as more UK users move to IPv6 but for now I'm not holding my breath.

I had a reply from a TP-Link technical support engineer yesterday which acknowledged that their devices don't currently support /56 IPv6 delegation but said they "will include this in the next firmware update ASAP". Which sounds promising, although it doesn't tell us which models and how quickly. In my case, it's a VR600 which needs sorting out.

p
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Dec-16 19:12:51
Print Post

Thanks for the replies. The expensive routers are just too much money. My maximum spend is £100 and there has to be something special to justify even that. TP-Link is probably out because that was another I bought back when I was trying to find an IPv6 router. It was sold as 'IPv6 ready' but it wasn't dual stack. When I contacted support they told me it wasn't ever likely to be dual stack :-/

So it's looking like it'll be the Billion at the moment, but suggestions are still welcome smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Dec-16 19:15:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'll go back to your thread and reread. Otherwise we both hijack this one. I don't seem to have an IPv6 problem as such, just frequently changing address so messing up BQM. Now been running about eight hours, never managed more than two or three before.
You see this is the kind of annoying thing I went through back in '12. I went through four routers before I found one that was dual stack IPv6 and stable. That's another vote from me for Billion. My 6300 worked out of the box and never seemed to be bothered by IPv6. Maybe IDNet's implementation was just that good but I'm kind of despairing if four years later router manufacturers are still struggling.

But as I'm still with Plusnet IPv6 support isn't essential <sad smile>.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 03-Dec-16 19:16:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to