Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Philce
(committed) Tue 03-Jan-17 12:16:36
Print Post

VDSL modem with L2TP or IPSec

[link to this post]

I'm currently on a FTTC (ECI cab) with good sync (75-58 D 20 U) and was using PPTP VPN to connect from remote to home to use home connection and access stuff on home LAN.

Since iOS 10 I can no longer use PPTP on my i devices from remote.

I currently have the BT ECI modem connected to ASUS DSL-55N that has VPN server capabilities, but only PPTP.

Anyone suggest a cost effective replacement for both? (or even a just the router and leave the modem in place).

Thanks
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Jan-17 22:51:59
Print Post

Re: VDSL modem with L2TP or IPSec

[re: Philce] [link to this post]

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 running an OpenVPN server configured according to the BBC instructions. I connect to it using port forwarding on my router. I also run OpenVPN server on my Synology NAS (Easier to install!)

Michael Chare
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-17 01:44:04
Print Post

If you don't want to go down the OpenVPN route, Draytek routers (apart from the 2760) offer excellent support for L2TP and IPSec VPNs. The VPN connections are very reliable. You can either get a 2860 with VDSL2 modem built in or something like a 2830 and use your existing modem. You can pick up a used 2830 (non wireless) for about £40 on eBay. You could then use the Asus as a wireless access point. A 2830 with wireless would set you back rather more.

If you want something a little more exotic (and more secure), I run one site with a Draytek 2860 using a RADIUS server and Duo two factor authentication for mobile VPN users. The RADIUS server and Duo authentication proxy both run on a Raspberry Pi but you could run on another Linux box or even Windows. The Duo 2 factor authentication service is free for home use for up to ten users and it's pretty neat.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Philce
(committed) Fri 06-Jan-17 17:18:50
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Ive got a PI so will try that route again, I did try the instructions on the net, but my Linux experience is zero and didn't manage to get it to respond on the LAN!

Ill give it another go!

Cheers for the advise re Dratek, I've looked longingly at them for years, but just couldn't justify the cost!
Standard User troublegum
(regular) Sun 08-Jan-17 10:10:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Philce:
Ive got a PI so will try that route again, I did try the instructions on the net, but my Linux experience is zero and didn't manage to get it to respond on the LAN!

Ill give it another go!

Cheers for the advise re Dratek, I've looked longingly at them for years, but just couldn't justify the cost!

The BBC instructions that Michael Chare mentioned are a bit convoluted. Far easier is to run the script at http://www.pivpn.io

As long as you are able to establish an SSH session to type the initial command, the rest is an automated script and makes installing OpenVPN and configuring users a piece of cake.

Don't forget to forward the necessary port on your router.

Also another thing you can run on the same raspberry pi is pi-hole which is a network wide DNS based ad blocker. It comes with a similarly easy install script.

Edited by troublegum (Sun 08-Jan-17 10:17:50)

Standard User Philce
(committed) Mon 09-Jan-17 13:53:10
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by troublegum:
In reply to a post by Philce:

Ill give it another go!

The BBC instructions that Michael Chare mentioned are a bit convoluted. Far easier is to run the script at http://www.pivpn.io

As long as you are able to establish an SSH session to type the initial command, the rest is an automated script and makes installing OpenVPN and configuring users a piece of cake.

Don't forget to forward the necessary port on your router.

Also another thing you can run on the same raspberry pi is pi-hole which is a network wide DNS based ad blocker. It comes with a similarly easy install script.

Works a treat! Thanks for the info!
  Print Thread

Jump to