Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User odyssey2
(newbie) Mon 16-Jan-17 15:10:53
Print Post

BT HH5 is faster than HH6

[link to this post]

I've been using a BT HH5 for the the last few months on a plusnet ADSL2 line and have had a solid, stable and reliable DL connection 14 -14.5Mb/s with a line status of about 16.5Mb/s (600m from the exchange) and average upload of about 0.8 Mb/s.

The only drawback is a wifi signal strength of about 40-50% at the front of the house (on 2.4Mhz). I got the chance of a new smart hub 6 very cheap so it seemed worth a try rather than messing about with boosters. HH6 works fine with about 30% improvement of signal strength, BUT the DL speed has dropped by 2Mb/s, and the UL speed increased to about 1.16 Mb/s.

Left it a few days inn case the line needed to re-learn, but there was no perceptible change, so I plugged the old HH5 back in and the speed is straight back up to 14.29, and the UL is back down to about 0.89.

Same settings on both hubs.

Any ideas why there is this odd discrepancy? I can live with either but I'm intrigued why . . .

TIA - Alastair
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jan-17 15:55:32
Print Post

Re: BT HH5 is faster than HH6

[re: odyssey2] [link to this post]

Different chipset/components...

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Mon 16-Jan-17 18:44:20
Print Post

Yup, different DSL chipset giving different sync.

Turn DHCP off on the HH6, change IP of the HH6, turn wireless off on the HH5, use the HH5 as the modem/router and plug the HH6 into it via LAN, thereby using it for wireless only.

Gives you the better DSL sync of the HH5 with the better wireless performance of the HH6.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User odyssey2
(newbie) Mon 16-Jan-17 22:14:49
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Thanks for the input nemeth, but it's not a particularly elegant solution.
Weirdly I've been checking the range & speeds on the HH5 and they seem slightly better than before - the furthest room was @ 39 on HH5, then went to 65 on HH6, back on 5 it's now 45. Identical position and conditions.
I'll try the smart hub again for a few days, but if it 's no better. I'll keep the 5 and add a booster.

Overall the HH5 has been flawless, it's only since SWMBO got an iPad air that the signal in the living room became an issue.

Seems odd that a later chipset would have inferior performance to the one it replaced, and obviously the increased upload speed is welcome, as I have to send quite large image and print output files, but once you've had that extra DL speed you don't really want to relinquish it . . .

Thanks again
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 16-Jan-17 22:35:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by odyssey2:
Overall the HH5 has been flawless, it's only since SWMBO got an iPad air that the signal in the living room became an issue.
Have you split the bands with 2 different SSIDs?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jan-17 22:48:04
Print Post

The smarthub is really aimed at fibre users FYI.

Can you setup a cable between the main router and a second location? Then install an AP.
Standard User Ben666
(newbie) Mon 16-Jan-17 23:37:01
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Yes, you can run an ethernet cable, or use powerline adaptors, to connect two BT HHs. I have a HH6 plugged into the DSL connection and a HH5 upstairs to connect to my PC and provide better wi-fi coverage. I had to fiddle around with the BT powerline adaptors but my PC running off the HH5 connects at 74 Mbps which is pretty good I think.
Standard User odyssey2
(newbie) Tue 17-Jan-17 10:41:22
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

@ Batboy. Yes, from day one on HH5.

Edited by odyssey2 (Tue 17-Jan-17 10:42:25)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-17 11:19:41
Print Post

What about on the HH6?

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 17-Jan-17 11:21:12)

Standard User odyssey2
(newbie) Tue 17-Jan-17 17:00:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes - that also, all settings on both hubs are the same (apart from the fact that the 5 inserts a dash instead of a space in the 5ghz SSID name
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to