Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Sat 11-Feb-17 04:03:57
Print Post

Re: G.Fast ready Asus DSL-AC88U

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You would think, but OpenReach allow the current generation of Asus VDSL2 modems on the network. The mediatek chipset on it is a joke. Allowing you to disable UPBO should be enough to ban it. The modem just can't run at 6dB, it's ridiculously unstable on my line. Then when you have problems with it Asus only advice is to change the target SNRM up to 8 or 10. After that didn't work they sent out a 3rd party app that lets you override DSLAM settings. With it you can override most downstream parameters set by DLM. I'm sure some ISP's actuality supply 1 of the Asus modems. I'll eat Paddy Ashdowns hat if any mediatek modems passed the MCT.

I must say it's the worst purchase I've ever made for a piece of tech. Even in WAN mode with a separate modem it's missing a bunch of settings from its RT equivalent. It's since been replaced by the almost identical non-modem Asus RT-AC68U, right up there with 1 of my best tech buys.

Hopefully Asus don't block the telnet of this device as they did with their only other Broadcom based modem router the Asus DSL-AC87VG. Granted that's designed for the German market, but these devices are priced for the tech minded user.

The DSL-AC88U looks promising. They shouldn't block telnet as there's no VOIP ports like on the AC87VG, which was their reason for blocking it. G.Fast is nice for future-profiling for anyone who plans on taking the service. A dedicated WAN port is also a nice addition over the 68u which required borrowing a LAN port, only leaving 3. The crazy high wireless figures quoted can only be achieved with the PCE-AC88.
https://www.asus.com/Networking/PCE-AC88/

Really need to stick my useless DSL-AC68U on fleabay. Almost feel guilty about it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Feb-17 11:51:51
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Vectoring is not a fundamental part of the VDSL2 system like it is with G.fast - has anyone confirmed that you can turn it off when connected to a G.fast modem (not uncommon for modems to vary the available options based on modulation technology)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User babis3g
(regular) Sat 11-Feb-17 13:12:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I am not from Asus so just passing whatever infos i am aware ...

First should not have previous line issues like the mediatek, because this is broadcom based

I am sure it supports vectoring, is under g.vector g 993.5 (at the pictures dsl settings) ... not tested by me, as i am with adsl (in Greece, not anymore in UK, maybe later & note no DLM in use down here)
How is TalkTalk by the way?

I have the info Telnet it will be blocked ... however Asus has the usual spectrum monitor & reporting few good line stats (but still missing ES/ HEC erros) and has snr tweak (stability adjustment) but adsl lines only, vdsl snr tweak is not there but i have the info, even if was there, can not override the BT vdsl dslam ... Asus asked many times broadcom to add vdsl snr, but no hope with vdsl...

but i agree telnet should be unblocked ... the photo i have with dslstats tool is from an unlocked firmware.
I will pass the info regarding unlocked telnet ... i am 100% with you in this case

I have photo with snr at 12 db (9db default snr target by isp) and one picture with the snr at 4db, adjusted by the modem, for testing stability (adsl)

Few options are missing now (qos etc) but untill comes out, i am sure should be there ready

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/babis3g/ac8...
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/babis3g/ac8...
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/babis3g/spe...
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/babis3g/snr...
http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/babis3g/media/snr%...

Edited by babis3g (Sat 11-Feb-17 13:15:43)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(member) Sat 11-Feb-17 13:53:12
Print Post

[re: babis3g] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by babis3g:
I have the info Telnet it will be blocked ... however Asus has the usual spectrum monitor & reporting few good line stats (but still missing ES/ HEC erros)
Exactly, utterly useless. A Web interface that gives no ES figures and telnet blocked on a device that cost most of the way to £300.

Their excuse for blocking the AC87VG was "security because of the VOIP". Why block access to the Broadcom CLI via telnet? That alone, is enough for me to keep my money in my pocket.
Standard User babis3g
(regular) Mon 13-Feb-17 09:15:21
Print Post

Hi, the current info i have at the moment
Regarding telnet, Asus will try to give some kind of access because Note broadcom does not like to have their devices unblocked, they do not recommend to play with telnet settings really ... if i have update i will inform, but my guess may take some time

Regarding ES/HEC errors, Asus will check if possible to add them in the dsl stats page (i don't see to be so difficult)

Note several other manufacturers using broadcom, with their new models, not have even dsl uptime (system uptime they do have) at their stats, they just have crc errors, attenuation, snr, actual speed
Asus has spectrum monitor for the tones, the dsl stats are ok reporting path as well, will add the dslam vendor to appear, has adsl snr tweak, and the dsl setting page whatever they have, are all in one page together (compare to other models which are in different menus) & later may add few more dsl options & hopefully the ES HEC errors as users asking

I am not saying to back up Asus or either for sales, just passing the info i have, Thanks

EDIT not sure about price, but my guess it should be around the rt ac88, i can be wrong on this

Edited by babis3g (Mon 13-Feb-17 09:16:29)

Standard User j0hn83
(member) Tue 14-Feb-17 03:41:55
Print Post

[re: babis3g] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by babis3g:
Asus will try to give some kind of access because Note broadcom does not like to have their devices unblocked, they do not recommend to play with telnet settings really ... if i have update i will inform, but my guess may take some time
I think whoever told you that read it in a fortune cookie.
I've used the maxdatarate command for a long time to limit my sync to 50mb. This holds on to fastpath on my line. If I leave it uncapped it runs at 55mb, and gets hit with interleaving and knocked down to 50mb.

So either 50mb capped, fastpath
Or uncapped, 50mb with interleaving.
I wouldn't buy a modem without access to the Broadcom CLI.
My recent change from ECI cab to Huawei wouldn't change that, even though I shouldn't need the maxdatarate when G.INP kicks in. I'm still using it now until then.

Most modems with Broadcom chipsets allow access to it. Only recently newer TP-Link models block it, and use their own duff telnet stats.
It's entirely down to Asus what they do with their firmware. Passing the blame onto Broadcom is a bit of a joke.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Feb-17 11:24:44
Print Post

Apparently Asus officially announced this model today though I cannot see any press release. According to the Guru 3D this will have a RRP of £219.99 which I would take with a large pinch of salt as the non-modem router version of this costs £250. They've also got the wrong photo - they've used a DSL-AC68U (uuurgghh) photo instead!

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-announces-dsl-...

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 15-Feb-17 11:31:54)

Standard User j0hn83
(member) Thu 16-Feb-17 01:53:28
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

lol, it's worse they have actually used RT-AC68U photos
The 2nd photo has a blue WAN port instead of the rj11 DSL port
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to