Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dewi
(regular) Tue 02-May-17 16:30:31
Print Post

Best ADSL modem for long line?

[link to this post]

I'm stuck with a long ADSL line (6.2 km) with little likelihood of FTTC any time soon. I get about 2 Mb/s.

I currently have a Billion 7800N. I recently added a Netgear Orbi, which I've configured as an Access Point. I've switched off Wi-Fi on the Billion 7800N.

I've been having problems where I lose connectivity. The connection returns if I wait a few minutes, or immediately if I reboot the router. The line doesn't drop. I can still access the router GUI. I just can't access the internet. The Billion is quite old. The casing is going yellow on top, suggesting that it runs quite hot. I'm considering trying a new modem/router to see if it'll fix my problems.

My main requirements, should I buy a new router are:

1. Line speed and stability at least as good as the Billion 7800N (preferably better).
2. Better QoS, so I can prioritise e.g. game traffic and web surfing over the SkyQ box downloading TV programs.

I'm not interested in Wi-Fi performance, as the Netgear Orbi handles Wi-Fi very well.

I've considered:

1. Billion 8900AX-1600 R2 (£169.99)
2. Asus DSL-AC88U (£199.98)

These would both give me a more modern and faster Broadcom chipset than the 7800N. The Asus would also give me better QoS. Both are very expensive, however. Thoughts?

Thanks in anticipation,
Dewi
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-May-17 17:41:18
Print Post

Re: Best ADSL modem for long line?

[re: dewi] [link to this post]

I see little benefit from spending £200 when line is so slow.

A visit to ebay and a search for 2wire router reveals what was a few years considered a very good brand for ADSL2+ connections and at £5 to £10 its not much of a lose if it does not improve things.

What are your ADSL stats? Presume downstream attenuation is nailed at 63dB or higher.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User craski
(member) Tue 02-May-17 18:15:57
Print Post

I've had good service from a Billion 8800NL on a long ADSL line. I primarily bought it as it allowed me to tweak SNRM as I have a long but stable line and the Billion allowed me to improve it slightly and it maintains sync for several months at a time. I have read on these forums that the latest version of the 8800NL use a cheaper Broadcom chipset but it still seems to be a good device with its weak spot being the wifi but you have that covered with your Orbi anyway.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-May-17 18:43:01
Print Post

As Mr Saffron says a cheap 2 wire, or a TP-Link WD9970 which I have tested on ADSL2+ and VDSL2.

Both can be picked up on Ebay relatively cheaply. If you're handy with telnet the TP-Link can also be tweaked.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 68696/18766
Standard User 961a
(member) Tue 02-May-17 18:55:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I don't think you'll find a better than the Billion you already have

I was in a similar situation and nothing I tried did better than the Broadcom chipset in your router

If it's getting old, try a new one that you can return under distance selling regs, but is the line in need of maintenance after a wet and windy winter?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 03-May-17 01:12:54
Print Post

As Mr S says - go for a 2wire. The model to look for is the 2700HGV and NOT the 2701. They may be old and do not always have the functionality of newer devices but they are probably the best log line ADSL modem available. I put one on a 9km ADSL line and the speed increased a little but more importantly it stopped the drop outs and loss of connection.After tidying up internal wiring, speeds improved even more and finally the SNR margin dropped to 3dB and it still remained stable.

An investment of £10 is worth trying out and if you don't see an improvement, they make excellent wireless access points!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-May-17 05:17:36
Print Post

In addition to the BT 2wire 2700HGV, the Thomson Speedtouch ST585v6 is another excellent choice for very long adsl1/adsl2+ lines. On my 65db attenuation line in Kent donkeys years ago, it was only these 2 routers which hung onto my connection like grim death. I suggest buying both (they're cheap as chips).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-2-Wire-Gateway-Business...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thomson-Speedtouch-585-v6-...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 mbps installation
1) Order placed
2) Survey done
3) Test rodding of ducts
4) Fibre laid
5) Jointing work - due 15/05/17

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 03-May-17 05:18:03)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-May-17 11:45:30
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

IIRC there was also a later 585v7, which should be avoided like the plague. The v6 has the Broadcom chipset, but the v7 a Conexant one and is nothing like as good.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User dewi
(regular) Wed 03-May-17 12:31:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The 2wire router is an excellent suggestion. It's got to be worth a try at £5-10.

My downstream attenuation is 60 dB. Currently synced at 2371.
Standard User dewi
(regular) Wed 03-May-17 12:38:33
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Unfortunately, you can no longer buy the Billion 7800N new. When I asked Billion whether the 8800NL or the 8900AX would be the better choice for my long line, they replied, "My technical colleagues say the 8900AX-1600 R2 should be better on your long line, due to it being a more expensive DSL chipset and more processing power". The problem is that the 8900AX is £169.

I think I'll try a 2wire modem from Ebay as recommended by Mr Saffron. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, at least I'll be able to tell my ISP that I've tried a different modem.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to