Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-May-17 21:16:12
Print Post

HG612 problems

[link to this post]

I've recently ended up on a banded 60Mb profile and have noticed my connection dropping a fair bit.

I've installed DSL Stats to see what's up and it appears my HG612 is rebooting itself every 10 hours, which isn't normal, it's been up for nearly 90 days in the past.

Not sure it could be a PSU issue? Don't understand why it would reboot, I thought maybe it was a heat problem so installed two mini fans under it. Still doing it.

Any ideas?

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-May-17 01:26:41
Print Post

Re: HG612 problems

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

How old is it?

My bet is capacitors. I had a SpeedTouch 546 v6 that started doing that so replaced the capacitors with Panasonic branded capacitors and it was fine.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 68696/18766
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 06:06:56
Print Post

The older versions of the HG612 are known to overheat so I would bin it and get the latest 3B version if that applies to you.

------------------------------------------
Fluidone FTTPoD 330/30...well almost smile
Powered by Netgear R9000 X10

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 10:12:29
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Not sure on it's age, but it's a 3B with the white PSU.

It's just randomly restarted rebooting itself every few hours and locking up.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 10:34:57
Print Post

In that case do a hard reset and see if the issue exists on factory default settings.

Fluidone FTTPoD 330/30...well almost smile
Powered by Netgear R9000 X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 09-May-17 10:36:07)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 09-May-17 10:39:42
Print Post

Probably easiest to buy another from the bay of fleas and sell yours.
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 10:55:10
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I've got an Asus Dark Knight on it's way to me, if the thing ever turns up so will definitely need a HG612, my HH5 has had it by the looks, constantly rebooting every hour.

Bearing in mind the HG612 is also doing the same, it's making me wonder if theres been a power surge or something as i've completely disabled TR069 and CNMP.

The HG612 has been completely rock solid up until late.

I'll try a factory reset on it later and see if it improves.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-May-17 11:23:41
Print Post

What is your normal sync speed? The HG612s I have both seem to be dying so I replaced them, ending up with a Billion. The AAISP-supplies ZyXel has an IPv6 bug but if used with its internal modem gave several more Mbps that either, as did the Draytek 130 that the DSLAM didn't like and my current Billion.

Depending on when I connect and the prevailing cross-talk I sync at 63+Mbps - 66+Mbps. The HG612s never beat 57Mbps until strangely the line got banded for no apparent reason and the one in use hit a rock-solid 60Mbps. That was the speed shown in its stats, but not the speed AAISP were given from BT on the Radius log, which was more in line with 57Mbps or so, and was what the IP Profile was based on.

I think old HG612s are now history, like farm horses v tractors. I suspect yours has reached end-of-life unless you want to follow Banger's example.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 13:30:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My normal sync speed is about 62/20 so i'm not particularly losing out on much - stabillity and latency is far more important for me personally.

The FTTC take up around here is high, we're a good few km from the exchange and all post 98 builds around here are BT only so shocked the cab hasn't hit capacity yet, Virgin Cable is also not the best, lots of over utilisation reports.

Crosstalk over the last 18 months has gradually seen the sync drop to the figure above, in the event of an area powercut the HG612 generally syncs at 80/20.

As BT no longer ship these Openreach modems, they will become rare and that opens up another question, what do we do then?

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2

Edited by wolvesmad (Tue 09-May-17 13:32:50)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-May-17 13:35:27
Print Post

Billion or Netgear it seems, with the Netgear possibly better but expensive.

ASUS routers are good but bad reports of all their combo ones' modem components. Though I think someone posted recently that their latest model has an OK modem. Not sure if I'm remembering correctly.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to