Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-May-17 10:50:54
Print Post

Re: HG612 problems

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Hmmm. See this thread from November re the OpenRG.

No solution but interesting.

Factory resetting the HG612 does not remove the flashing. Merely sets that back to as downloaded if you have altered anything.

Assuming you have the correct flashed version there is nothing wrong with it, but any consumer grade modem can go bonkers and need a factory reset which works when all else has failed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 10-May-17 10:53:45)

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-May-17 13:36:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's been running perfectly for 6 months on this unlocked 08 firmware. G.INP kicked in etc and stability has been excellent.

As you saw in my post on the other sub forum, this seems to have all happened in relation to a potential worm on a relatives laptop. Got a feeling TR069 had something to do with it but why it would continue to do so now doesn't make sense.

Isn't there multiple ways of factory resetting a HG612?

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-May-17 13:54:47
Print Post

Only the normal way. And I expect if it has been compromised then that would work.

If a factory reset doesn't cure any outstanding problem, then you could reflash with the unlocked version or the original locked one that is available from the same source as the unlocked, then follow that with a factory reset.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-May-17 22:12:37
Print Post

Plugged my RT-N66U into the factory reset HG612 and it lasted 15 mins before locking up.

Think it's time to find a new VDSL modem.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-May-17 22:23:45
Print Post

Yep. How about a Billion 8800NL R2 like I have, but in bridge mode. The modem component is great. It does for me as-is, but the ASUS has 5GHz wifi which I don't need. (I do have the same router as you from my HG612 days. Sitting doing nothing).

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 10-May-17 22:25:58)

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-May-17 07:27:05
Print Post

Been looking at the TP Link suggested further up this thread as it's Broadcom based and quite inexpensive.

My RT-N66u is running on merlin from 2015 by the looks. As it's already running on it is it simply the case of downloading the latest version and installing it?

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Thu 11-May-17 08:27:21
Print Post

the TP Link

No detailed telnet stats without a bit of a hack http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=17108.30

Ian
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-May-17 10:12:37
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

I was considering getting a HG612 again but can't find any new ones at a reasonable price.

The TP Link has a 3 year warranty and is £29.99. Want to stay on a Broadcom chipset if I can being on a Huawei cab.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 11-May-17 11:34:11
Print Post

No idea about the Merlin sorry. I've never fancied using non-manufacturer supplied OS. With the exception of the unlocked version of the HG612 firmware, where I believed Asbokid's statement that all he had done was to enable OR-disabled access settings. (Words to that effect).

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-May-17 16:52:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think old HG612s are now history, like farm horses v tractors. I suspect yours has reached end-of-life unless you want to follow Banger's example.
Stop it, you're scaring me smile

I have one that's five years old and still seems to be going strong. I do have a Billion 8800 that can take over it's duties eventually though, as long as I can work out how to re-enable the modem interface. Hmmm. Perhaps I should work that out and save a hard copy.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to