Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-May-17 21:16:12
Print Post

HG612 problems

[link to this post]

I've recently ended up on a banded 60Mb profile and have noticed my connection dropping a fair bit.

I've installed DSL Stats to see what's up and it appears my HG612 is rebooting itself every 10 hours, which isn't normal, it's been up for nearly 90 days in the past.

Not sure it could be a PSU issue? Don't understand why it would reboot, I thought maybe it was a heat problem so installed two mini fans under it. Still doing it.

Any ideas?

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-May-17 01:26:41
Print Post

Re: HG612 problems

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

How old is it?

My bet is capacitors. I had a SpeedTouch 546 v6 that started doing that so replaced the capacitors with Panasonic branded capacitors and it was fine.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 68696/18766
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 06:06:56
Print Post

The older versions of the HG612 are known to overheat so I would bin it and get the latest 3B version if that applies to you.

------------------------------------------
Fluidone FTTPoD 330/30...well almost smile
Powered by Netgear R9000 X10

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 10:12:29
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Not sure on it's age, but it's a 3B with the white PSU.

It's just randomly restarted rebooting itself every few hours and locking up.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 10:34:57
Print Post

In that case do a hard reset and see if the issue exists on factory default settings.

Fluidone FTTPoD 330/30...well almost smile
Powered by Netgear R9000 X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 09-May-17 10:36:07)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 09-May-17 10:39:42
Print Post

Probably easiest to buy another from the bay of fleas and sell yours.
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 10:55:10
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I've got an Asus Dark Knight on it's way to me, if the thing ever turns up so will definitely need a HG612, my HH5 has had it by the looks, constantly rebooting every hour.

Bearing in mind the HG612 is also doing the same, it's making me wonder if theres been a power surge or something as i've completely disabled TR069 and CNMP.

The HG612 has been completely rock solid up until late.

I'll try a factory reset on it later and see if it improves.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-May-17 11:23:41
Print Post

What is your normal sync speed? The HG612s I have both seem to be dying so I replaced them, ending up with a Billion. The AAISP-supplies ZyXel has an IPv6 bug but if used with its internal modem gave several more Mbps that either, as did the Draytek 130 that the DSLAM didn't like and my current Billion.

Depending on when I connect and the prevailing cross-talk I sync at 63+Mbps - 66+Mbps. The HG612s never beat 57Mbps until strangely the line got banded for no apparent reason and the one in use hit a rock-solid 60Mbps. That was the speed shown in its stats, but not the speed AAISP were given from BT on the Radius log, which was more in line with 57Mbps or so, and was what the IP Profile was based on.

I think old HG612s are now history, like farm horses v tractors. I suspect yours has reached end-of-life unless you want to follow Banger's example.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 13:30:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My normal sync speed is about 62/20 so i'm not particularly losing out on much - stabillity and latency is far more important for me personally.

The FTTC take up around here is high, we're a good few km from the exchange and all post 98 builds around here are BT only so shocked the cab hasn't hit capacity yet, Virgin Cable is also not the best, lots of over utilisation reports.

Crosstalk over the last 18 months has gradually seen the sync drop to the figure above, in the event of an area powercut the HG612 generally syncs at 80/20.

As BT no longer ship these Openreach modems, they will become rare and that opens up another question, what do we do then?

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2

Edited by wolvesmad (Tue 09-May-17 13:32:50)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-May-17 13:35:27
Print Post

Billion or Netgear it seems, with the Netgear possibly better but expensive.

ASUS routers are good but bad reports of all their combo ones' modem components. Though I think someone posted recently that their latest model has an OK modem. Not sure if I'm remembering correctly.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 13:51:30
Print Post

You are remembering correctly, Bob.

The latest one has a Broadcom chipset and at around 200 notes, is probably the most cost effective high end VDSL modem/router on the market at the moment.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-May-17 15:54:54
Print Post

There is always the TP-Link WD9970 which really is stable for £30 from Amazon.

Tim

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 17:24:00
Print Post

The chances of another HG612 lasting longer than 6 months is quite slim, any down sides to that TP Link? Fully G.INP compatible?

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 17:58:32
Print Post

May '15 update fixed the following issue:
Fixed the bug that the speed dropped on the BT line of UK when G.INP was enabled

Downside with TP-Links is lack of access to the detailed DSL stats.

The Archer VR900 V2 is currently 100 sobs on Amazon, if you want a new router with good wireless.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-May-17 18:32:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by wolvesmad:
The chances of another HG612 lasting longer than 6 months is quite slim, any down sides to that TP Link? Fully G.INP compatible?

No downsides other than you have to hack it with a custom config file to get access to full telnet stats, there is cut down telnet stats available but wont work with DSLStats. Has G.INP and vectoring capability but if you are on an ECI cabinet you wont see G.INP. 3 year warranty from TP Link.

Tim

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 18:46:40
Print Post

It's based on a BDCM chipset isn't it?

I'm on an Huwaei 288 line cab, 200m away.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-May-17 18:47:46
Print Post

Yes Broadcom Chipset and I use it as a bridge modem with wireless to get stats from it.

Tim

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-May-17 08:53:50
Print Post

Found an old netgear PSU out last night and plugged it into the HG612.

Ran fine until around 1am and then it locked up again - DSL light and LAN light was on this morning but completely un responsive.

Factory reset tonight, if that doesn't help it's going in the bin.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 10-May-17 08:57:00
Print Post

Hang on, given both your modem and your HH5 are displaying similar symptoms these may be caused by an external fault. E.g. the linecard in the cabinet could be faulty.

Another modem could add more evidence.
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-May-17 09:48:50
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Funnily enough the HH5 stayed up for 14 hours yesterday before I installed the HG612 again.

The issue with the HH5 is OpenRG 'requesting system reboot' every few hours, it's not the line dropping.

99% sure the HH5 isn't impacting the HG612 though, it's got it's own seperate issue by the looks. All the default admin passwords and TR069/ Remote software access has been disabled, there's no way it can access it.

I'm going to factory reset it back to how it is in it's standard unlocked state when my Asus RT-N66u turns up. If I leave TR069 etc on will the Asus block any incoming requests?

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2

Edited by wolvesmad (Wed 10-May-17 09:53:56)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-May-17 10:50:54
Print Post

Hmmm. See this thread from November re the OpenRG.

No solution but interesting.

Factory resetting the HG612 does not remove the flashing. Merely sets that back to as downloaded if you have altered anything.

Assuming you have the correct flashed version there is nothing wrong with it, but any consumer grade modem can go bonkers and need a factory reset which works when all else has failed.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 10-May-17 10:53:45)

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-May-17 13:36:35
Print Post

It's been running perfectly for 6 months on this unlocked 08 firmware. G.INP kicked in etc and stability has been excellent.

As you saw in my post on the other sub forum, this seems to have all happened in relation to a potential worm on a relatives laptop. Got a feeling TR069 had something to do with it but why it would continue to do so now doesn't make sense.

Isn't there multiple ways of factory resetting a HG612?

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-May-17 13:54:47
Print Post

Only the normal way. And I expect if it has been compromised then that would work.

If a factory reset doesn't cure any outstanding problem, then you could reflash with the unlocked version or the original locked one that is available from the same source as the unlocked, then follow that with a factory reset.

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-May-17 22:12:37
Print Post

Plugged my RT-N66U into the factory reset HG612 and it lasted 15 mins before locking up.

Think it's time to find a new VDSL modem.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-May-17 22:23:45
Print Post

Yep. How about a Billion 8800NL R2 like I have, but in bridge mode. The modem component is great. It does for me as-is, but the ASUS has 5GHz wifi which I don't need. (I do have the same router as you from my HG612 days. Sitting doing nothing).

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 10-May-17 22:25:58)

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-May-17 07:27:05
Print Post

Been looking at the TP Link suggested further up this thread as it's Broadcom based and quite inexpensive.

My RT-N66u is running on merlin from 2015 by the looks. As it's already running on it is it simply the case of downloading the latest version and installing it?

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Thu 11-May-17 08:27:21
Print Post

the TP Link

No detailed telnet stats without a bit of a hack http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=17108.30

Ian
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-May-17 10:12:37
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

I was considering getting a HG612 again but can't find any new ones at a reasonable price.

The TP Link has a 3 year warranty and is £29.99. Want to stay on a Broadcom chipset if I can being on a Huawei cab.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 11-May-17 11:34:11
Print Post

No idea about the Merlin sorry. I've never fancied using non-manufacturer supplied OS. With the exception of the unlocked version of the HG612 firmware, where I believed Asbokid's statement that all he had done was to enable OR-disabled access settings. (Words to that effect).

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-May-17 16:52:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think old HG612s are now history, like farm horses v tractors. I suspect yours has reached end-of-life unless you want to follow Banger's example.
Stop it, you're scaring me smile

I have one that's five years old and still seems to be going strong. I do have a Billion 8800 that can take over it's duties eventually though, as long as I can work out how to re-enable the modem interface. Hmmm. Perhaps I should work that out and save a hard copy.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 11-May-17 18:46:40
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

LOL
Make sure you save the current config first, else getting back to that might have you tearing your hair out! LIke I did a few days ago when my IPv6 disappeared for some reason and a reboot didn't fix it.

Fortunately after a few hours struggling I found a config save timed an hour or so after a speed test result taken the first day I got it working back in December!

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-May-17 22:29:34
Print Post

Went and got the TP Link 9970 modem and flashed both the TP and my N66u with the latest firmware.

Line has been up for 6 hours, 60/20 sync although my attainable is 67/20, a few Mb higher than what the HG612 used to produce.

How do I check the basic line stats on the TP Link via the N66u?

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Fri 12-May-17 14:52:52
Print Post

Did you flash merlin on the n66u?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/access-modem-confi...

Ian

Edited by ian007jen (Fri 12-May-17 14:53:23)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-May-17 15:42:42
Print Post

How do I check the basic line stats on the TP Link via the N66u?

The way I do it is with a Wifi Dongle on my main PC and log in to the 9970 on Wireless and telnet in from there not forgetting the custom config file.

Tim

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to