Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Thu 28-Sep-17 10:26:32
Print Post

NTE5C Quality

[link to this post]

Just a question for those that use/install the NTE5C faceplate.

They look a bit cheap and flimsy, are the internals as cheap? Reason I ask is my newly installed line is playing up and to quote JohnLewisBB:

'I have tested your line today and the results indicate a potential issue with the equipment connected to the phone line.

Our tests show a loop on the line, which is basically a short circuit on the line. This could be a faulty piece of equipment or something breaking the loop such as something going through the line.

To rule out your equipment as the cause, we would like to see if the fault is still present with your equipment disconnected from the line.

Please contact us when all the phone sockets in the property are unplugged and if possible please remove the faceplate of the master socket which will disconnect the internal wiring. We can then retest your line and proceed with our investigation.'

I've not been home yet to remove the faceplate - but just wondering if these things can fail in a just over a month of been installed and not touched since.

ISP's:
Zen: Around 6mb down - .8mb up
JohnLewis BB: Around 6mb down - .6mb up
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - Currently one step closer to the dream....
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 28-Sep-17 10:52:19
Print Post

Re: NTE5C Quality

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

They could fail, but the chance is very, very unlikely. I would not say they are cheap, but are made at minimal cost to meet the technical requirements and a demonstrable lifetime - mainly because the public keep demanding lower prices so over engineering which was the case a few years back is no longer. For example - self tapping screws into plastic rather than a threaded engineering screw into a brass insert may save 4p in material and 6p in assembly cost, but put that in 1,000,000 devices and there is an £100,000 saving.

By removing that and everything connected, they can prove the line status and if that is fine, then a retest with just the face plate connected - no devices and no extension wiring will tell if the faceplate is at fault. After that, any issues would normally be on your equipment or wiring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(member) Thu 28-Sep-17 11:09:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for that - I'm fairly confident that the fault is either the router or the line as nothing else is connected. Pity as it was great for the first few weeks!

ISP's:

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 28-Sep-17 11:14:27
Print Post

So, let them test the line, then test with just the faceplate and if those are OK, then attach just the "router" which I assume contains a modem. Then test yourself and if there is a failure it could be either the device, cable or the remote possibility of the actual NTE5C connector socket (extremely rare, but they can get damaged).

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 11:21:55
Print Post

I must admit, I think these 5cís are as cheap as chips, not a fan at all.

As for it causing a loop fault, I doubt it. If the test is showing CA loop with everything unplugged ... get them to call out Openreach.

Are you fed overhead ?

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 28-Sep-17 11:33:02
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I must admit, I think these 5cís are as cheap as chips, not a fan at all.

But they meet spec! It really is down to cost cutting that is being forced on OR ... even a change in plastic type can save a penny or two and just think how many are used in a year ...

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 11:46:55
Print Post

Agreed, the new back boxes are rubbish too, the NTE's do not screw in flush to them, they are barely rigid.

This shaving away at costs is a false economy in the long run IMO.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 28-Sep-17 11:50:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Agreed, the new back boxes are rubbish too, the NTE's do not screw in flush to them, they are barely rigid.

This shaving away at costs is a false economy in the long run IMO.

It probably is a false economy but the drivers are not OR on BT Group but outside bodies who are forcing up front prices down.

They are too short sighted to see that installing a £1.50 unit that lasts 2 years is cheaper than installing two 75p units that each last just a year.

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 12:05:58
Print Post

They are too short sighted to see that installing a £1.50 unit that lasts 2 years is cheaper than installing two 75p units that each last just a year.

Tell it like it is. smile

(member) Thu 28-Sep-17 13:19:25
Print Post

Yes, the cable comes overhead from the pole. It's the same cable as my working Zen connection - a fairly new(ish) cable compare to the ancient old 3 core wire which originally was connected.

I'll do the testing as required later when I'm back home.

ISP's:
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 14:12:37
Print Post

Yes, the cable comes overhead from the pole. It's the same cable as my working Zen connection -

Do I recall you posting before about 'would they use the second pair in the dropwire for my new line" ?

(Unlikely that I have remembered this right, but wonders never cease)

(member) Thu 28-Sep-17 14:18:59
Print Post

Sounds about right, but since then I've had to deal with Microsoft Office 365 support so nothing anymore makes sense.

ISP's:
(member) Fri 29-Sep-17 16:56:36
Print Post

Appears the line checks out o.k. But I did connect a phone to the line and got an interupted dial tone. it's been escalated to elsewhere in Johnlewis/Plusnet support.

ISP's:
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 29-Sep-17 17:08:05
Print Post

Interrupted dial tone is normally associated with BTs 1571 answer service and maybe similar from other providers. It is unlikely to be te casue of any line problems.

Did you get the line tested with te face plate replaced? I so, what was the result of that.

M H C

(member) Sat 30-Sep-17 00:22:36
Print Post

They tested the line when nothing was plugged in and it came back as o.k. - Interesting what you mention about 1571 - despite me not selecting the service it was enabled. I've turned that off so that might clear what I thought was a line issue.

/edit I dialed 1571 and got a message from a company offering an oven clean [censored]? Deleted the message and the line tone went back to normal. I'll wait to see what JohnLewis/Plusnet come back with about the issue they originally found.

ISP's:

Edited by kebabselector (Sat 30-Sep-17 00:33:14)

(member) Tue 03-Oct-17 22:46:47
Print Post

It seems that the faceplate might be the suspicious item. Plusnet ask me to leave the router plugged in via the line filter for 72 hours to confirm. During my other testing the line was fine, but after I plugged the faceplate back in it appears to be dropping.

Would Openreach post me a new face plate to save sending an engineer?

To be honest if it's just the faceplate I don't have an issue leaving it in the master socket as the line isn't used for anything else - and hopefully now Fibre is in the design stage for my cab it might be sorted in the next 12 months and I'll disconnect it anyway.

ISP's:
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - Now starting the Design phase.....
(member) Mon 16-Oct-17 10:48:01
Print Post

Line is testing out o.k. and they've asked me to refit the faceplate.

Was told if the faceplate is faulty I'll have to pop to the shops and get another one, apparently the Faceplate isn't covered by Openreach, just the line upto the master socket - I questioned that as it's a new line installation and then was told it's got a years warranty - is this right?

Almost sounds as if Plusnet/JL support are making it up as they go along.

ISP's:
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - Now starting the Design phase.....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Oct-17 11:31:37
Print Post

Basic consumer rights override anything a firm tries to suggest, so a years guarantee would be the minimum reasonable

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to