Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rob54
(committed) Thu 12-Oct-17 23:00:49
Print Post

Replacement for ? failing Plusnet Technicolor router

[link to this post]

There appears to be an issue of some sort with the Plusnet supplied Technicolor TG582n. I called Plusnet (long wait) and they got me connected again. The ethernet connected desktop is OK but the 4 wireless devices (1 android phone, 1 Android tablet, a Sony TV and a Brother printer) are not. The Plusnet guy said the router might be getting faulty (it has been constantly cycling, rebooting itself). As I'm only a few months into a (re)new(ed) contract they won't supply a new router without a charge (in case I leave at contract end 0 not planning too). I didn't ask what the charge was.

But I have seen on Amazon a TP-LINK TD W8960N 300Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT connections. Would this be a good replacement? Only problem is I don't know much about using non-isp routers (so I guess would not have their support in this respect). But its a very reasonable price (£18.82 + del). Any comments appreciated please.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 Home, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Norton Security,
Website & email hosting & domain name provider - www.tsohost.co.uk
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Oct-17 23:34:04
Print Post

Re: Replacement for ? failing Plusnet Technicolor router

[re: rob54] [link to this post]

You might want to consider buying a router that can also do VDSL in case you change to that at a later date. The TP-Link TD-W9970 often gets mentioned here.

In the past Plusnet have sent me new routers when I have renewed my contract for a year. It might be worth speaking to someone else at Plusnet.

Michael Chare
Standard User rob54
(committed) Thu 12-Oct-17 23:45:49
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Hm yes thank you that's a good thought.

Yes I did wonder about speaking to someone else regarding a new router. After all I have showed my loyalty by staying with Plusnet. I might well do that. I wonder if it's got anything to do with getting retention BB free for a year ?? It's not that I asked it was offered in the form of an email. I simply responded. Who wouldn't want free BB for a year!

Windows 10 Home, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Norton Security,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Oct-17 10:50:11
Print Post

I wonder if it's got anything to do with getting retention BB free for a year ?? It's not that I asked it was offered in the form of an email. I simply responded. Who wouldn't want free BB for a year!
As my contract is at an end I'm curious to know when you got offered free BB from PN was it recently or further back say in June-July-August this year (2017)?

plusnet user
Standard User rob54
(committed) Fri 13-Oct-17 15:50:44
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
As my contract is at an end I'm curious to know when you got offered free BB from PN was it recently or further back say in June-July-August this year (2017)?

It looks like I was offered it in May to take effect from June this year.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Oct-17 09:48:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by rob54:
In reply to a post by Apprentice:

It looks like I was offered it in May to take effect from June this year.

Having spoken to the customer options team I can say that sadly free BB is no longer available just now, the deal offered to me for my connection to a market A exchange was £8.50 a month for ADSL1 BB plus the cost of monthly LR with PN or pay upfront for LRS.

plusnet user
Standard User rob54
(committed) Sat 14-Oct-17 18:02:59
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

frown

Standard User rob54
(committed) Sat 14-Oct-17 18:12:16
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Its wifi that's the problem really. PC stays connected by ethernet. Phone will only work if a couple feet away from router. Tablet not too bad but at about 7 feet away but still drops out. 10 feet away it is slow and stops. TV 10 feet away obviously poor as it barely works on e.g.iPlayer. Printer - not at all in another room. Today I stood outside Costa and phone was fine. Router obviously the issue. Can't believe now limiting it is to be without wifi. SO glad PC is ethernet connected.

Edited by rob54 (Sat 14-Oct-17 18:13:09)

Print Thread

Jump to