Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 21-Oct-17 08:46:04
Print Post

5GHz WAP

[link to this post]

Been using this for months without any problems, but notice that 2.4 band getting crowded; seversl new neigbours with more kidssmile

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013HCO332/ref=o...

Now most of our devices are 5GHz ready so want to replace the above with a 5GHz WAP but do not wish to spend much more than I paid for the 2.4 WAP.

Any suggestions?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Oct-17 08:55:18
Print Post

Re: 5GHz WAP

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

How about £34.20 for dual band, http://amzn.to/2yHrgMU or if you want to have more freedom in positioning then http://amzn.to/2l6MH4E which is £41.70

Personally would pick the second, as plug sockets are low and often end up blocked by furniture causing wifi coverage issues, the standalone version is easier to position just right (i.e. moving just 20cm left or right can make big differences in coverage sometimes)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 21-Oct-17 09:11:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you.

The second is now in my Anazon basket.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bsdnazz
(learned) Sat 21-Oct-17 11:22:57
Print Post

I bit the bullet a couple of months ago and bought a BT Whole Home WiFi 3 pack and it's wonderful! It replaced two newish TL-WA901NDs and and older similar model.

The difference in performance and reliability is huge. Like the TL-WA901NDs the BT system does not include a router and it's best to turn off any router WiFi or at least use a different SID.

The BT system uses the new (ish) WiFi protocols and allows modern kit (notably smartphones) to reliably roam between access points.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Oct-17 13:00:34
Print Post

[re: bsdnazz] [link to this post]

At £200 it had better be good too

Ubiquiti and others do similar kit e.g. http://amzn.to/2xVYIQz but at £78.90 the price point was well above original posters suggestion

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Oct-17 13:02:52
Print Post

Tried the first one, tried 2 of them. In all cases after a few days uptime the 5Ghz network goes offline, and needs a reboot to get it back. Now using the Sky Q booster instead, no issues (but only for Sky customers)
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Oct-17 13:04:19
Print Post

Who is your ISP? Generally all ISPs have 5ghz routers e.g sky, bt, talktalk, plusnet and virgin are now all 5ghz ready.

The provider can likely offer you a replacement router for minimal cost if you recontract.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Oct-17 16:38:33
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Sky Q (dual band) is only on Sky Fibre Pro, or will they quote to supply it on the standard packages too?

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Oct-17 17:08:44
Print Post

I have it on standard fibre, friend just got it as part of their sky package with ADSL2+.

We both have sky q TV but it definitely doesn’t require fibre pro to my knowledge.
Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Sat 21-Oct-17 17:11:50
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Because you've also taken Sky Q.

Edited by Davey_H (Sat 21-Oct-17 17:18:21)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to