Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Nov-17 08:33:59
Print Post

Client bridge with Virgin Super Hub 3.0

[link to this post]

For years I ran a Buffalo Router flashed with DD WRT firmware in client bridged mode to a BT homehub. Worked faultlessly for years. However on swapping to Virgin Iím having some difficulty. Now admittedly I had to reset the device as I had forgotten the password etc as it been that long since I last configured it. I can get it to work and connect but it drops out after a while. Thinking it maybe a wireless compatibility issue however anyone else using a similar setup ? Might have to bite the bullet and buy something else or setup a wireless AP down stairs instead !

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Nov-17 13:45:50
Print Post

Re: Client bridge with Virgin Super Hub 3.0

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

Have you switched the superhub into modem mode?

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfse...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Nov-17 17:42:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Nope but why would I need to ?? Still need the router to work as that? The wireless bridge just connected devices down stairs to the router upstairs . Of course it has been a long time since I played around with this as it worked faultlessy for years with BT.

Regards

MrG

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Nov-17 19:53:48
Print Post

Ah get you now, no need for modem mode then

It is possible the wireless bridge just does not like the wireless from the superhub, wireless bridge modes tend to be a bit hit or miss

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Nov-17 20:25:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep could be ! worked fine with the BT homehub albeit it was version 2 or 3 I think ?? Will see what else I can come up with. Might run a cat6 cable to WAP sited in a central place !

Edit

Had another look at the device and noticed a small dip switch on the side its labelled router auto off/on , I may have stumbled on the issue lol . Switched off, now lets see how it plays out now !

Regards

MrG

Edited by MrGrumpy (Fri 17-Nov-17 22:06:23)

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Nov-17 14:56:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
Yep could be ! worked fine with the BT homehub albeit it was version 2 or 3 I think ?? Will see what else I can come up with. Might run a cat6 cable to WAP sited in a central place !

Edit

Had another look at the device and noticed a small dip switch on the side its labelled router auto off/on , I may have stumbled on the issue lol . Switched off, now lets see how it plays out now !

Ok just shows you how long it has been since I started playing around with network bridges . What I should of checked first was the addresses assigned by DHCP, I set my bridge up with a static IP which was in the same range as assigned by DHCP ( my bad ). All changed now and its working a treat, not dropping out, speeds not great but it is down stairs but 30 odd down and 12 up from the device will do for me. Plenty for the lads PC and Xbox etc.

Regards

MrG

Print Thread

Jump to