Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(committed) Wed 20-Dec-17 19:29:26
Print Post

WAP broadcasts wifi all the time?

[link to this post]

I have a TPLink WAP. Should the WAP broadcast the same wifi signal strength no matter if it is connected to a router or not?

I can see that without connection to a router it would not broadcast an internet signal but am I wrong to expect it to still sent out a wifi signal. In othet words if I only want it to link just my home devices should it do that? Devices are a Galaxy S5 phone and Google Chromecast Audio on same 5G wifi network.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Dec-17 10:29:39
Print Post

Re: WAP broadcasts wifi all the time?

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

A WAP should be able to be used independently of a separate network. However, it would need an IP address (set the WAP to a static IP) and either the WAP would need to offer DHCP for the clients or the clients would need static IP addresses set in the same subnet as the WAP. But, doing that it should be possible to create a full private network without any other equipment.
Standard User athegn
(committed) Thu 21-Dec-17 21:21:44
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thank you.
I am not sure I understand all you said but will continue to experiment with WAP/Poweline units to get a reliable signal to my Chromecast Audio. I actually need internet because I both stream ftom the internal micro SD card and stream from apps on my Galaxy S5.

Sometimes the Audio stays connected all day, other times it drops every half hour or so; WAP stays in same pkace all the time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Dec-17 21:50:05
Print Post

The IP address of all your devices comes from the main router, so say I link my WAP to a BT HomeHub, when I connect a device to the WAP, the device gets its IP address from the BT HomeHub, not the WAP. In the absence of the BT HomeHub devices do not get an IP.

Some devices may have additional options and functionality, but a WAP is generally linked to a main router of some sorts - and best to stick with that.

If linking your WAP via powerline please stop, run an ethernet from your main router to the WAP, do it right it'll save you a potential headache down the line.
Standard User athegn
(committed) Thu 21-Dec-17 22:22:43
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I understand not using Powerline; use cat 5 instead BUT her indoors will not accept more holes!! I should have put cat 5 in the listenening room before I last decorated!!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Dec-17 08:29:40
Print Post

So you actually do want it connected to the Internet? If that is the case then my post isn't relevant - you seemed to be suggesting you wanted to create a private network without external connections but I may have misread it.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Dec-17 17:29:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by athegn:
I have a TPLink WAP. Should the WAP broadcast the same wifi signal strength no matter if it is connected to a router or not?

I would expect it to broadcast when powered up regardless of any router as that would allow two wifi devices with fixed IP addresses to communicate.

Michael Chare
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Dec-17 18:14:34
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I would expect it to broadcast when powered up regardless of any router as that would allow two wifi devices with fixed IP addresses to communicate.
Depends on the AP, some APs are setup to disable SSID broadcast if they lose contact to the main router / wireless controller, this is setup so a bad AP does not mess up the overall network (e.g. imagine you had 100 APs) over a large area, you'd rather users fallback to a further AP than one with no connection out.
Standard User athegn
(committed) Fri 22-Dec-17 20:00:36
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

My reason for askjng this question is because I am getting dropouts from the Chromecast Audio(CA). So I thought it would be worth asking firstly if the WAP would broadcast wifi without intetnet connection. I have now tried with the internet cable removed from the WAP but cannot get the CA to work via that setup.Noted the reference to a WAP not working if no internet connection. Will have to see if my TPLink AC750 is like that.

I have had the CA working faultlessly for over two days but since it dropouts a random times; maybe evey couple of hours, sometimes in 30 minutes or even much shorter.

One thing I have noticed is that 5Ghz seems mord reliable that 2.4.Also the distance between the WAP and CA does not make that much difference, in fact the over two days was with the WAP in the next room, seperated french windows

One thing I may be able to do is bring an ethernet cable near the CA; at present to be near the CA I have to use Powerline.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Dec-17 01:02:56
Print Post

Powerline are notorious for dropping out.

You have a main router - powerline - access point - wireless link to chromecast audio

The chrome cast audio is getting an IP from the main router, when the powerline link fails it will drop out.

Just to rule out a faulty chromecast audio, if you connect it to the main router not the access point do the issues go away? If they do, the issue is the access point, and most likely those powerline plugs.

Note I said if you are linking over powerline to stop and run a cable, these kinds of issues are exactly why I said that. In some homes they work fine but in a lot of homes they are a nightmare.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to