Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User biohead
(newbie) Sat 23-Dec-17 07:21:40
Print Post

Re: WAP broadcasts wifi all the time?

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

No, a typical WAP will not let you talk to all other devices on the network without a connection to the router. Some may be able to do this, but then they're more than just a standard WAP. You might be able to get it working via Static IPs - but I'm not sure if that's something you'd want to try?

There's a difference between connecting to the router, and connecting to the internet. As long as you have a router connected up, everything should be able to talk to each other and you won't need an internet connection. To this extent, you could get rid of the WAP and get a cheap wifi router to replace it as anything connected to this wifi network will be on the same network.

Without knowing any of the finer details and knowing the reliability of powerline adapters, the dropouts could most likely be related to the powerline and not the WAP itself.
Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Sat 23-Dec-17 07:39:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by athegn:
One thing I may be able to do is bring an ethernet cable near the CA; at present to be near the CA I have to use Powerline.

Then I'd do that, and then buy the Ethernet adapter for your Chromecast Audio

https://store.google.com/product/ethernet_adapter_fo...
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 23-Dec-17 08:17:59
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

Davey_H that looks like a good solution. Getting the ethernet to the CA will be bit of a pain and will involve a long cable but do able.

Will buy unit and report back when running.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Dec-17 16:09:47
Print Post

Why are you bringing Ethernet to the chromecast audio?!?! THE Chromecast Audio can connect over WiFi as intended.

Just link the access point via Ethernet, putting the AP close to the chromecast and let the chromecast audio connect via WiFi as intended. Itís not designed out the box to use Ethernet thereís no need.

With this setup all devices can benefit the improved WiFi coverage from the access point.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 23-Dec-17 16:23:11)

Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 23-Dec-17 16:36:16
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

As was said earlier better to plan for the future e.g. a new receiver (current amp has developed a problem that may not be solverable) that has built in Chromecast that also had ethenet input.

I have in fact just setup my WAP as you suggest; WAP now along side CA with ethernet plugged and CA using now improved wifi. However wifi in the area the WAP was, is now poorer; my summer listening maybe affected; WAP was there to give better/useable wifi in conservatory.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Dec-17 00:54:45
Print Post

I had assumed your chromecast received a good signal from the AP, if that was the case switching the location of the AP to beside the chromecast should give a good signal in the original AP location. Itís now just sending it back to where it originally was.

Given you have moved the AP besides the chromecast, and now WiFi is poor where the AP originally was, this must mean the signal from the original location to the chromecast was also poor.

You may have just identified the issue all along.

The chromecast audio has very weak internal WiFi and you need a good signal to it.

You need to ensure you connect the APs with Ethernet for best performance and that signal is adequate to the chromecast. Ideally ensure -70RSSI or better throughout the property.

Your issue generally sounds like you have inadequate WiFi coverage around the house, and connecting with homeplugs isnít helping either.

If you inagine all traffic must go via the original router, you donít want a slow homeplug which may drop out in the middle, unless you know your home wiring is perfect.

Connecting the chromecast audio with Ethernet is just a band aid, hiding the fact the WiFi signal is inadequate in that location, fix the real issue which is poor WiFi. What happens when you want to add something else like a smart tv or new technology in future, or perhaps use an iPad in the weak signal area? Itís much easier to hop onto a good WiFi network, for example I can get 400Mbps all over my home on wireless, so I donít need to wire anything in. I have 4 access points around the home, and I use a mesh wireless network similar to the BT whole home wifi (its an option for you, itís wireless but expensive). What Iím saying is once you get it right it just works.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 24-Dec-17 05:15:14)

Standard User athegn
(committed) Sun 24-Dec-17 08:42:00
Print Post

Thank you all for the advice.

Ukhardy07

My way of measuring signal strength is by the Andriod app Wifi Analyzer; I realise that this app is not a real meter so only gives a guide. However at the WAP I get - 50dBm which the CA can now use. But in my conservatory I am getting under -70dBm.

Whether I will ensure good hifi coverage all over the house depends on my future plans for high tec TV etc. My wife's cinema room (sounds posh but just back bedroom with large screen and surround sound) is the site of the Virgin Hub 3.0, so she has very good wifi there. That room is the most likely to have a more high tec TV (being researched now) than our lounge. Lounge being my domain and, being a miserable so and so, I rarely watch TVsmile
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Dec-17 21:22:13
Print Post

Provided youíre closer to -70 and not -80 it should be ok!
Standard User athegn
(committed) Mon 25-Dec-17 09:21:36
Print Post

I checked this morning and on my tablet still just touching -70 but my phone, which I use to feed the Chromecast, is just over -70; but as I said "meter" is only an app.

Last evening Chromecast and phone stayed connected for over 5 hours.

Thank you for helping me and a Merry Christmas.
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 30-Dec-17 21:44:20
Print Post

I should hsve said which ethernet device I bought; this one:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N1X28F1/ref=o...

Works well i.e no unexpected drop outs
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to