Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User risk_reversal
(experienced) Tue 26-Dec-17 11:24:53
Print Post

TP Link W9970

[link to this post]

Merry Xmas to All.

I was thinking of upgrading my BB connection from ADSL2+ to FTTC.

This will require a new modem / router capable of VDSL.

The two FTTC providers in my area are either BT or TTB LLU.

I wanted to make sure that the TP W9970 would work with both those providers.

I am pretty sure that it will just wanted to make sure.

I have read quite a lot about the W9970 and I will only be using it as a modem and router not WAP as many reviews talk about the flaky wifi.

I did buy one of these a few days ago and although I only tested it on my ADSL2+ line for a short while it seemed fine.

BTW, the BT FTTC cabinet in my area appears to be a Huawei ie broadcom, which appears to be compatible with the BCM63381 chipset of the W9970.

Many thanks for any info provided.

Cheers
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Dec-17 08:38:10
Print Post

Re: TP Link W9970

[re: risk_reversal] [link to this post]

Just on a side note - hopefully you are aware that "BT" means you should be able to access any of the providers that use BT wholesale, you are not just limited to BT Retail. Also, having TalkTalk available means there are other providers that use TalkTalk as a wholesale provider that may give you better service than TalkTalk themselves. Have both BT and TalkTalk available at your exchange means you have something like hundreds of options for ISP. Those various ISPs will have varying levels of support for 3rd party routers but many will allow you to use any router that is compatible with VDSL.
(experienced) Wed 27-Dec-17 09:15:13
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Just on a side note - hopefully you are aware that "BT" means you should be able to access any of the providers that use BT wholesale, you are not just limited to BT Retail. Also, having TalkTalk available means there are other providers that use TalkTalk as a wholesale provider that may give you better service than TalkTalk themselves. Have both BT and TalkTalk available at your exchange means you have something like hundreds of options for ISP. Those various ISPs will have varying levels of support for 3rd party routers but many will allow you to use any router that is compatible with VDSL.

Yes I understand. I was planning on staying with my current ISP. They may not be the cheapest but they have provided an excellent service.

I am pretty sure that the TP W9970 will work with BT fibre but wanted to make sure that it would also work with TTB fibre LLU as they probably use their own backhaul.

Cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Dec-17 12:01:14
Print Post

The TP Link should be fine with both.

Don't expect any help from the providers in setting it up, best to set up their kit initially so that if its not working they cannot say its your kits fault.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Fri 29-Dec-17 16:39:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron.

I will be getting the FTTC from Uno and I do not think they that they provide new kit eg router.

I am currently with them (Uno / Xilo) on the 'old' C&W ADSL2+ LLU and was likely going to switch to their TTB Fibre LLU product.

Cheers
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Sat 30-Dec-17 07:16:52
Print Post

I have the FTTC from Uno.
I think they provided a router when I asked about a suitable product, but it had problems with my local network (which I never got to the bottom of, relating to DHCP), and I'm much happier now with my TP link W9970.

Derek
(experienced) Sat 30-Dec-17 15:28:23
Print Post

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

Thanks for letting me know dandnsmith.

The W9970 looks like an ok piece of kit if you don't want to use the reported flaky wifi.

I am just testing it out now on 3G/4G via a Huawei E367 and it works fine.

The W9970 detected the dongle very quickly and connected via 3G/4G in less 30 secs.

Cheers
  Print Thread

Jump to