Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ImranQ
(learned) Sat 27-Jan-18 09:57:10
Print Post

Need a good DSL router

[link to this post]

Hi Folks,
My WNDR3700 seems to be conking out - it keeps deciding to reboot randomly a few times a day. I was therefore looking for a good replacement. The most important aspect is that I need to have good WiFi coverage as we have a large house and sometimes the signal doesn’t get to the other side! Other features such as an access control list etc would also be good.
I don’t need a modem as I want to continue using the open reach modem.
Finally, as long as the router is good I would be willing to pay upto £250. So, any recommendations ?
Thank you,
Imran
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 27-Jan-18 10:49:28
Print Post

Re: Need a good DSL router

[re: ImranQ] [link to this post]

If happy with Netgear and their web interfaces, the Netgear Nighthawk range is pushing the wireless capabilities

http://amzn.to/2ng6nkg £129.99 for NETGEAR R7800-100UKS Nighthawk X4S with Mimo so better wireless speeds for modern devices and all important dual band with 802.11ac

The beamforming may also help improve the range, beyond the benefit of 4 external antenna which will give a fun hour in terms of tweaking to get the furthest possible reach.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Jan-18 11:35:09
Print Post

As Mr S has suggested you should go for the Netgear R7800. At 129.99 its a great price for what is arguably the best standalone router around for wifi coverage - it normally retails around the 200 mark. Other routers in the same class are the Synology RT2600AC, Netgear R9000 (expensive!) and TP Link C3150 but the R7800 just pips them for wifi.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ImranQ
(learned) Sat 27-Jan-18 13:34:24
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
As Mr S has suggested you should go for the Netgear R7800. At 129.99 its a great price for what is arguably the best standalone router around for wifi coverage - it normally retails around the 200 mark. Other routers in the same class are the Synology RT2600AC, Netgear R9000 (expensive!) and TP Link C3150 but the R7800 just pips them for wifi.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did have my eye on this router but was put off by ‘mixed’ reviews. I’ve seen people complaining that this router suffers from problems such as disconnects. Not sure if the complainers are just incompetent or not. Infact it seems there are complaints with just about every router so maybe these people are just not tech savvy.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Jan-18 13:43:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by ImranQ:
In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did have my eye on this router but was put off by ‘mixed’ reviews. I’ve seen people complaining that this router suffers from problems such as disconnects. Not sure if the complainers are just incompetent or not. Infact it seems there are complaints with just about every router so maybe these people are just not tech savvy.

Nah, you won't have any issues with disconnects. Its uses top end Qualcomm radios which are rock solid. Its the # 1 ranked router on smallnetbuilder.com for wifi range and coverage.

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User ImranQ
(learned) Sat 27-Jan-18 13:52:49
Print Post

Ok thanks! Just ordered using the link Andrew gave.

Thanks again guys.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(committed) Sat 27-Jan-18 17:22:39
Print Post

I posed similar question and both baby_frogmella and MrSaffron recommend the nighthawk, and it was what I purchased, it has been flawless.
Moreover, as I did not say thank you at the time, many thanks, to the aforementioned!

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-2015
Pension Advisor 2015-
I'm alright Jack....

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4170529760.png
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Jan-18 18:16:16
Print Post

We have a long thin house something like 40' x 20' and the master socket is in one corner downstairs.

By the time you get to our daughter's bedroom the 5G signal is non-existent and the 2.4G signal is weak.

Are we likely to see a significant improvement with the Netgear R7800?

Running Ethernet cables to another location in the house is an absolute no-no and people's experience with Powerline adaptors seems to be a bit hit and miss, so it would seem the choices are Expensive mesh, cheaper mesh (e.g BT Whole Home Wifi or Google WifI) or trying the 7800.

I was actually considering the Netgear Orbi or Linksys Velops, but the R7800 is a much more cost effective option if it will do the job.
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Jan-18 22:24:20
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

The R7800 should easily cover a 40x20 area, definitely worth giving it a shot.

If you use one of the high powered 1000mw 5ghz channels on the R7800 (eg 120) which is a DFS channel - legal in Blighty - then you’ll get even better range on theR7800. On the downside the router will automatically change the DFS channel if it clashes with another radar channel so probably not a good idea if you live near an airport/airfield.

Netgear Nighthawk X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 28-Jan-18 22:26:06)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jan-18 00:02:29
Print Post

You snooze, you lose.

Amazon price now £152.98!

Should have just gone for it!!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to