Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ninjaef
(newbie) Thu 01-Feb-18 15:16:04
Print Post

unlock BT smart hub 6

[link to this post]

can it be done? searched using google, lots of info about HH5 but not 6

I used to be with BT, and paid for the router, now that my contract came to normal expiration,I dont see why we cant unlock these hubs, much like one can request a mobile operator to unlock a handset.

Id like to use the hub as an VDSL bridge mode, thats all
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Feb-18 15:59:10
Print Post

Re: unlock BT smart hub 6

[re: ninjaef] [link to this post]

As far as I know there is no way to "unlock" a BT smart hub. Whilst you own them they are specifically designed and programmed for a BT connection.
Standard User ninjaef
(newbie) Mon 05-Feb-18 08:55:32
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

There is a way, I've seen them for sale tagged "UNLOCKED" and when querying with the vendor, i have received a response that they hub can be set to work on any VDSL connection using one's own ISP credentials. So it can be done, but very little knowledge on the "open web" about it , hence my OP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Feb-18 08:59:06
Print Post

Sounds like you know more about it than me and had already answered your opening question. So, for how it is done I'm afraid I can't help - maybe someone selling it unlocked could provide you with some information on how they did it - usually if something can be done like this then it is posted on the Internet as to how to do it. Personally I suspect the sellers are mis-selling their routers but I could be wrong.

EDIT : Looking at ebay I can't currently see a single smart hub 6 being sold as unlocked, there are some 5s but no 6s.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 05-Feb-18 09:02:03)

Standard User ninjaef
(newbie) Mon 05-Feb-18 17:54:24
Print Post

I didnt mention eBay did I :/
Standard User tdw42
(learned) Mon 05-Feb-18 19:21:12
Print Post

I came across https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-... recently which describes changing the WAN username and password to use a HH6 on Plusnet connections, it isn't clear if this would or wouldn't work with other ISPs - there are comments about the username/password box not accepting enough characters (or some characters) to work with some, YMMV.

AFAIK the BT Retail version doesn't support bridge mode to use it as a dumb modem, it is suggested that the BT Business version does.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Feb-18 08:49:30
Print Post

Never said you did - it was just the easiest place for me to check. Of course you may be looking on the dark web in which case if there is a crack for the router that is the most obvious place to find it - so as I said why not ask the people advertising them how exactly they cracked them.
Standard User ninjaef
(newbie) Tue 06-Feb-18 10:09:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
Never said you did - it was just the easiest place for me to check. Of course you may be looking on the dark web in which case if there is a crack for the router that is the most obvious place to find it - so as I said why not ask the people advertising them how exactly they cracked them.

I did :/ no reply though hence OP
Standard User ninjaef
(newbie) Tue 06-Feb-18 10:15:34
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tdw42:
I came across https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-... recently which describes changing the WAN username and password to use a HH6 on Plusnet connections, it isn't clear if this would or wouldn't work with other ISPs - there are comments about the username/password box not accepting enough characters (or some characters) to work with some, YMMV.

AFAIK the BT Retail version doesn't support bridge mode to use it as a dumb modem, it is suggested that the BT Business version does.

I had tried this although not following that specific guide you link to, but another. Very simlar though because bother required a hard-reset (30 seconds) and re-population of username/password. HOWEVER, entering a non-BT network (i.e. someting other than PlusNet or BT domain in the broadband username field) resulted in the error "The broadband user name is not a recognised BT domain" ... something along those lines.

So whilst that and similar guides may work for PlusNet and BT, you certainly cannot use other ISPs such as mine, @broadband.vodafone.co.uk - the HH6 simply rejects this.
Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Wed 07-Feb-18 05:45:31
Print Post

You can certainly use Home Hubs on BTw based ISPs, having used them with several.

I currently have one running on a John Lewis provided Connection (admittedly a Plusnet White label) eg @john-lewis.com.

The thing I did find is the Smart Hub doesn't like passwords with special characters and had to change my JL one.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to