Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Feb-18 21:20:44
Print Post

VDSL modem or Router with bridge mode suggestion

[link to this post]

Iím sick of my Sky Q giving dodgy internet connections via Wi-fi, so Iím looking at mesh networks like google Wi-fi or BT whole home Wi-fi.

My Sky Q router canít be turned into a modem only (bridge mode?) so Iím looking for a cheap option to replace it. I looked at dedicated modems but theyíre very expensive so wondering if a modem/router with a bridge mode is a better option?

Whatís the cheap option when it comes to routers? Iím on an ECI cab at about 64Mbit but itís a poor line so should be faster. If I could get g.inp or 3db snr option would be good.

Kris

Sky Fibre
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-Feb-18 22:53:36
Print Post

Re: VDSL modem or Router with bridge mode suggestion

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

Can you not just connect the mesh network equipment to one of the ethernet ports of your Sky router? If you just have a modem you would need mesh network equipment that does PPPoE.

The Zyxel VMG8924-B10A is a router which can also be run in bridge(modem) mode. I have bought one for less than £25 on ebay. Depending on the provenance it may work better if any old ISP info is deleted. Described on forum.kitz.co.uk

Michael Chare
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Feb-18 08:29:18
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Agreed, simplest route if it is just WiFi issues would be to keep the Sky hub and connect the WiFi Access Points to that.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Feb-18 21:48:52
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Google Wi-fi is a router, and if you put it in bridge mode you lose the fancy mesh technology frown

Kris

Sky Fibre
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Mar-18 09:55:37
Print Post

The current edition of PC Pro compares a number of these devices. It did describe some of the connection issues. The Zyxel product came out best.

Michael Chare
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Mar-18 12:03:53
Print Post

My 2.4Ghz on Sky Q is dreadful, have you tried renaming and splitting 5Ghz, my 5Ghz is quite solid.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 01-Mar-18 12:04:17)

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Mar-18 20:21:00
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Yes Iíve had them separate.

I was getting issues with connections stopping working despite showing connected with decent signal. I was also having issues connecting to my synology, with what seemed like packet loss (tested via ping)

Iíve given up and plugged in my BT smart hub and Iím using that as an access point for now. Itís working pretty well!

Kris

Sky Fibre
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Fri 02-Mar-18 11:57:33
Print Post

Billion 8800NL (there are Ver1 & Ver2). Have used Ver1 for years (granted on ADSL only) and its rock solid, should be able to pick one up off the auction sites for peanuts.
Its has Full and Half bridge modes - I run in full bridge passing ppoe to a Untangle router/UTM.
I use Ubiquiti for all my wifi and switches.
As for the Sky Q, i have their Q router, switched off 2.4Ghz, the Q boxes/mini boxes only use the 5Ghz, and just use that for Sky Q system, reason being in that if I need to reboot network kit or do a firmware upgrade then the Q system keeps active, the router has never been plugged into the phone line so its actually still on the very first firmware.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sat 03-Mar-18 00:37:58
Print Post

I'd recommend something with a BCM 63168 chipset if you want the highest possible sync with low errors. I found it to be the best chipset on both ECI/Huawei cabinets (same pair)

I use a Zyxel VMG1312-B10A. It has the BCM 63168 chipset and an additional noise filter. Having tried about a dozen modems on my line it syncs higher than any other.
It's basically a black HG612 in shape/style. I have mine wall mounted next to the master socket with a 50cm patch cable.
It gets me 50/8 with a 23.7dB attenuation on a 950m line.
It syncs about 6Mb higher than a HG612 on my line.

The Zyxel VMG8924-B10A / VMG8324-B10A also has the additional noise filter. It was the modem I used (in bridge mode) for about 6 months before acquiring the 1312.

The Billion 8800NL R1 is also a rock solid modem, though getting harder to source.

I often see advice being given that you should use a modem chipset that matches the DSLAM, which in your case would be a Lantiq chipset. I didn't find that at all. In my experience Broadcom (BCM) chipsets work best on ECI cabinets.
  Print Thread

Jump to