Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rogerh
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-18 00:13:42
Print Post

adsl modem recommendation

[link to this post]

I am currently using the Westell 6100 on a very long (8.5km) line. It is one of very few that work. I like the static IP transfer to the NIC on the computer that this does and would really like an ADSL2 enabled modem with a similar arrangement. Or failing this some sort of bridge mode. Any recommendations, especially ones likely to work on a long line?

Many thank, rogerh
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 05-Mar-18 01:17:04
Print Post

Re: adsl modem recommendation

[re: rogerh] [link to this post]

Rather old now, but the original 2700HGV modems were always excellent on long lines. Stable, would work with 3dB margin and as teh noise level changed during the day they would even hold up with a 0dB margin.

Still plenty around on ebay - maybe worth a £5-10 shot ... just make sure it is a 2700 not a 2701

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-18 04:08:30
Print Post

DLink DSL-320B-Z1

1 of the users on here uses x 3 of these on 3 very long bonded ADSL lines. It runs with a very low snrm of about 1-2dB on his line, syncing considerably higher than any other modem he's tried.

If Weaver comes across this thread he may chip in some more.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rogerh
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-18 10:20:20
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion. Is it easy to use them in some sort of bridged mode to a separate router?
Standard User rogerh
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-18 10:25:18
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
DLink DSL-320B-Z1

1 of the users on here uses x 3 of these on 3 very long bonded ADSL lines. It runs with a very low snrm of about 1-2dB on his line, syncing considerably higher than any other modem he's tried.

If Weaver comes across this thread he may chip in some more.

Thanks. I also use the older DSL-300 something as a backup, and this works ok, but I assume doesn't do ADSL2.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 05-Mar-18 10:43:00
Print Post

Yes, there is a single check box to put it into bridge mode.

I never used one that way but have had several on ADSL (all variants) and all have performed well. They are locked to BT but there are instructions available to unlock. On my own personal line, I recorded negative SNRs with the modem still sync'd and performing perfectly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Mar-18 23:15:48
Print Post

If you really mean ADSL2 then those may be just as good as an ADSL one. If you mean the now standard ADSL2+, then I agree those are worse than ADSL on long lines.

In the case of either ADSL2 or ADSL2+ you can of course easily restrict them to ADSL.

The fact they should train down automatically isn't really relevant as they generally seem to hold onto the highest protocol they can get any sync at all on. Which prevents them obtaining the best sync the line can handle.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User rogerh
(committed) Wed 07-Mar-18 08:03:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If you really mean ADSL2 then those may be just as good as an ADSL one. If you mean the now standard ADSL2+, then I agree those are worse than ADSL on long lines.

In the case of either ADSL2 or ADSL2+ you can of course easily restrict them to ADSL.

The fact they should train down automatically isn't really relevant as they generally seem to hold onto the highest protocol they can get any sync at all on. Which prevents them obtaining the best sync the line can handle.

Thanks. My wish to try ADSL2+ was based on my erroneous belief it could be provided from the new cabinet. Now I have been told it can't, I think you are going to be right.
  Print Thread

Jump to