Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Mar-18 15:39:37
Print Post

Do all ADSL2+ routers perform same?

[link to this post]

Always had Netgear routers as i find the interface easy to manage and good performance on my ADSL2+ line. Out of interest though do the majority of routers perform the same in terms of holding a connection and sync speed, or can there be a big difference between makes and also models?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Mar-18 16:26:40
Print Post

Re: Do all ADSL2+ routers perform same?

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

It varies with a range of a couple of Meg between best and worst and even different firmware versions can cause differences i.e. they used to often tweak how they behaved.

As for makes and models forgotten most of them beyond finding a 2Wire device was the best bet for very very long lines

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Mar-18 16:31:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So is there anyway of knowing which device will give the rest sync speed and connection reliability before buying a router? Or is it pot luck?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Mar-18 16:41:52
Print Post

These days it is probably pot luck as fewer and fewer people are posting anything here about ADSL performance.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Mar-18 16:44:34
Print Post

FTTC (VDSL2) may not cost much more than ADSL from the likes of Vodafone and possibly at the moment Talk Talk.

My Plusnet supplied TG582n was quite good on a 6km long line.

Michael Chare
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Mar-18 19:01:04
Print Post

My BB connection is still ADSL and what works best for that connection are routers with Broadcom chipsets and that can vary too, the best I had with regard to a very stable connection was, untill it got fried, a Netgear DG834GT with DGTeam firmware.

John Lewis Broadband
  Print Thread

Jump to