Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cypher007
(learned) Tue 27-Mar-18 16:53:39
Print Post

Best modem router vdsl With usb storage and media sharing

[link to this post]

Ok getting brassed off with tplink over the vr900ís v1 lack of samba v3 support and constant connection issues when using my iPads.

Looking at getting a new modem router but in 3 years if anything they seem to be getting worse.

Are there any modem routers that just work with iPads can share files with windows 10 and tvís using usb hard drive and not keep dropping connection, as the tplink 2800 seems to according to reviews.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Mar-18 18:11:00
Print Post

Re: Best modem router vdsl With usb storage and media sharin

[re: cypher007] [link to this post]

Can you define what you mean by work with iPads and Windows 10?

Wireless dropouts can be down to many reasons, and if you've not split the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands your drop outs might be more down to iOS flipping between the two, i.e. sometimes better to name networks different names and tech devices about just one.

Media storage, I'll go out on a limb and suggest best to do this outside of the router, i.e. use a NAS that has the support you need.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cypher007
(learned) Wed 28-Mar-18 00:05:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

the problem with the vr900 is they either cant or wont update the samba version. so when 1709 came out all of a sudden I couldn't access my file shares. well several head scratches and some googling revealed a fix. which is to enable the unsecure v1 samba. not ideal.

then the other day I installed 1709.1 on a laptop at home and once again I was puzzled why I couldn't connect to the files. then doh yeah router no support tplink moved onto new models yar yar. so thought ok will see if there is a better solution.

on top of this issue seems to be a wheel of doom when doing google searches, and using the net in general, problem with our ipads which doesn't improve that much even at close range. when running a ping from the ipads to the router I get 24ms then 1000ms then 24ms etc.

ive turned off 5ghz and limited 2.4ghz to 20mghz.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Mar-18 00:14:47
Print Post

Using just 2.4 GHz is the wrong thing to do, as 2.4 GHz is generally more crowded and subject to interference

The 5GHz band is the one to aim to use if you cannot use Ethernet on a device.

On the NAS side, this part of routers is usually an after thought, might be better using something like https://howtoraspberrypi.com/create-a-nas-with-your-... if you cannot find a ready rolled NAS that will do what you need.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cypher007
(learned) Wed 28-Mar-18 00:23:28
Print Post

wow someone else cant sleep wink

the reason I was trying for an all in one solution is because I'm super tight for leccy and I'm using and having to swap Ethernet ports when I want to print etc. really need 5 ports or a switch. so hence why I like the usb on the router.

maybe I need to completely scrap the all in one route and have modem with dhcp nat then switch and nas?

the reason I don't use 5ghz is part tin foil hat part it doesn't go very far through the house.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Mar-18 06:44:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by cypher007:
the reason I don't use 5ghz is part tin foil hat part it doesn't go very far through the house.

If your TP link router gives you the option, use a DFS channel such as 120 on the 5ghz band. DFS router channels are high powered (1000mW) channels which are totally legal to use in UK and which will give you decent indoor coverage on the 5ghz band - i think standard 5ghz channels are limited to around 200mW power. Obviously your client has to support DFS channels as well (many do).

On the downside the router will automatically switch a selected DFS channel to a lower power 5ghz channel (eg 44) if it detects conflict with a radar channel ,hence the name Dynamic Frequency Selection. So probably not a good idea if you live near an airport/airfield.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User philjohn
(newbie) Wed 28-Mar-18 12:53:19
Print Post

Netgear D7800 - based on the R7800 which is a damn fine piece of kit, stock firmware is decent with lots of features, and there are open source mods to the stock firmware on NetGear's MyOpenRouter site with updated packages etc.
Standard User cypher007
(learned) Wed 28-Mar-18 19:45:31
Print Post

[re: philjohn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by philjohn:
Netgear D7800 - based on the R7800 which is a damn fine piece of kit, stock firmware is decent with lots of features, and there are open source mods to the stock firmware on NetGear's MyOpenRouter site with updated packages etc.

Will check it out ta.
Standard User cypher007
(regular) Wed 28-Mar-18 21:01:42
Print Post

Have they fixed the fibre issues? Been reading some reviews on Amazon where people have had connection problems, netgear saying itís not compatible with bt fibre, and netgear not fixing it via a firmware upgrade.
Standard User cypher007
(regular) Sat 31-Mar-18 20:34:15
Print Post

Looked at a few NAS boxes and theyíre quite expensive. I just donít like having umpteen boxes to do one job, well one job in my view.

Iím wondering as the newer modem routers seem to be so bad whether or not to just keep nagging tplink to fix the samba issue. As apart from that it not a bad setup.

I have the chance to send it back to amazon for a full refund and it has crossed my mind to change to the vr900 v2. Though some reviews suggest that has 2.4ghz WiFi problems.
Standard User philjohn
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-18 20:38:00
Print Post

The other option is to get a separate VDSL modem and a Netgear R7800, which is the same model, but without VDSL/ADSL modem (and the CPU is clocked higher as well).

I had that setup running for over a year with OpenWRT/LEDE flashed onto the R7800 which allows a lot more tweaking.
Standard User cypher007
(regular) Sat 31-Mar-18 22:23:18
Print Post

[re: philjohn] [link to this post]

How come the d7800 has issues? Youíd think they would have sorted how to build a good combined unit by now. I guess itís becuase not all countries use FTTC.

To me surely the way to go would be Broadcom for the modem then what ever can handle the usb and switching. But most combined units seem a compromise. Maybe to keep costs down, though Iíve looked at routers up to £250 and they all seem to have weaknesses.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to