Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(committed) Fri 30-Mar-18 22:59:50
Print Post

Powerline dtopouts

[link to this post]

I am having another attempt at getting an answer to a problem I have; with slightly different equipment.

I now use a Devolo 500 (2.4Ghz) wifi unit to connect my Galaxy S5 to the home network.

Does the WAP act as its own wifi transmitter? If so why does Wifi Analyzer, an Andriod app, show a wildly varying signal; -55 to -40; sometimes lower than another 2.4Ghz signal on a different channel, 6. I have changed the 500 channel to 13 where there is no other neighbouring use.

I would have thought that the WAP would constantly send out the same wifi signal strength, even if the underlying internet signal varies?

The problem is when my Galaxy S5 uses the WAP to communicate with my home ethernet setup I get occassional dropouts. I have a Chromecast Audio (CCA) built-in device in my new receiver, connected via ethernet to my home network. I put my S5 near the WAP and get a very strong signal.

When the phone is near the WAP, 2-3 feet, there are still a few dropouts; say a couple evey few hours (intermittent e.g. this evening solid for over 3 hours, this afternoon several dropouts over 4 hours ) have to re-connect the phone to the CCA. Times of dropouts vary; does not seem to be at specific periods of the day.

Why do I get dropouts when the Devolo base unit ethernet cable connects to the same unmanaged switch as the  receiver's ethernet cable. The Virgin router also connects to this switch. Problems were the same when I had BT as ISP and used BT powerline devices.

This is even when I am sending data from the SD card on the S5. Although if I send data from BBC iPlayer or Spotify I get a similar intermittent dropouts; not more just similar.

Any advice please?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Mar-18 10:12:43
Print Post

Re: Powerline dtopouts

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

Just a thought ....

You mention all the things that have been changed, ISP etc, have you tried a different make of phone ?

Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 31-Mar-18 15:07:19
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Only have Samsung phones. Will try my Samsung tablet to see if that does not have dropouts.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User athegn
(committed) Sun 01-Apr-18 08:17:00
Print Post

S*^s law but yesterday from 3.00 pm to 11.00pm not one dropout on my S5!
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sun 08-Apr-18 17:43:15
Print Post

Well a week now with hardly any dropouts; maybe problem solved.
  Print Thread

Jump to