Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nitro93
(learned) Mon 02-Apr-18 21:33:24
Print Post

What magic words will get my old dropwire changed?

[link to this post]

Hey all,

So I had my BT Infinity home move a couple of weeks ago, the line appears to have settled now leaving me at 37mbps downstream (on a 35mbps guaranteed line), DSL checker says I should be able to get 56 downstream and my max attainable is 63mbps. However i've noticed that my line appears to be a two pair figure 8 type cable (I believe from the GPO days?), shoddily connected to a curved junction box, converting it to 0.25m of twisted pair cable into a 5C master socket with a split phone and broadband faceplate.

I've done quiet line and have heard a few crackles and pops but nothing too loud or noisy, but i'm pretty sure I'd be able to squeeze more out of it with a new modern twisted pair cable that BT now use rather than this old one. Realistically i'd like to get the master socket moved anyway as it's not really in the best of locations and it's an extremely long run of cable down the side of the house), i'm even happy to pay the Openreach fees for this.

Does anyone know how I could possibly go about this?

Cheers!

Edited by Nitro93 (Mon 02-Apr-18 22:31:52)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Apr-18 21:47:07
Print Post

Re: What magic words will get my old dropwire changed?

[re: Nitro93] [link to this post]

First, what are the line stats from your router?

Second, which Infinity product are you on?

Third, have you checked the home wiring is optimised?

Fourth, where does the 37Mbps come from?

Fifth, where does the max attainable come from?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71097/14070Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Apr-18 22:14:44
Print Post

I just asked my ISP to get openreach out because I had a dropwire as an underground feed and it was totally wrong. Openreach dug up my drive, put in new duct on top of the old duct and after a few days new twisted pair which gave me better sync. I am not exactly sure of your situation.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nitro93
(learned) Mon 02-Apr-18 22:29:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
First, what are the line stats from your router?

Second, which Infinity product are you on?

Third, have you checked the home wiring is optimised?

Fourth, where does the 37Mbps come from?

Fifth, where does the max attainable come from?

Cheers for the prompt response!

1. Line stats: https://ibb.co/mvKXpx
2. Package is BT Infinity 1 (52)
3. No extensions from master socket with home wiring, using a RJ45 to RJ11 Cat 5E twisted pair lead from broadband socket to router (TP Link VR400).

Images of wiring can be found here: https://ibb.co/dsB92H and https://ibb.co/fBrbhH

37Mbps comes from line stats from router as above, throughput is about 31 on Speedtest downstream.

Max attainable (or rate I assume?) comes from router stats above - sorry typo'd it as 68 in my original post, have edited it!

In reply to a post by Banger:
I just asked my ISP to get openreach out because I had a dropwire as an underground feed and it was totally wrong. Openreach dug up my drive, put in new duct on top of the old duct and after a few days new twisted pair which gave me better sync. I am not exactly sure of your situation.

Sounds simple! Was it a case of dodgy wiring or completely the wrong dropwire? Was it chargeable?

Edited by Nitro93 (Mon 02-Apr-18 22:46:47)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Apr-18 22:58:25
Print Post

Was an overhead wire put underground in the 80s by a contractor and it wasn't chargeable but I had to have several survey visits by OR.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Apr-18 23:37:48
Print Post

Thanks Nitro.

The key figures in your stats are the 36999 downstream sync, allied to the 8.8dB noise (SNR) margin. That is highly suggestive of DLM having capped your sync at 37Mbps.

The usual reason for that is an excessive number of errors over 24 hours. Also indicated by the 13189 error figure in a fortnight. Coming from your TP Link.

Unless you had good reason not to run with the supplied BT Hub, my suggestion is that the eBay'ing of the VR400 may have been for a good reason. I would put the BT Hub back and see what happens.

Unfortunately, as I believe DLM has intervened, the automatic removal of banding is unlikely to happen for months even if the TP Link is the problem. I don't think you can monitor the error rate with the Hub, so you wan't be able to monitor it frown.

Sorry, at the moment I can't think of a better solution. I doubt if it is the drop wire itself, unless there are visible signs of damage on it, such as tree branch wear.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71097/14070Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Nitro93
(learned) Tue 03-Apr-18 01:12:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Thanks Nitro.

The key figures in your stats are the 36999 downstream sync, allied to the 8.8dB noise (SNR) margin. That is highly suggestive of DLM having capped your sync at 37Mbps.

The usual reason for that is an excessive number of errors over 24 hours. Also indicated by the 13189 error figure in a fortnight. Coming from your TP Link.

Unless you had good reason not to run with the supplied BT Hub, my suggestion is that the eBay'ing of the VR400 may have been for a good reason. I would put the BT Hub back and see what happens.

Unfortunately, as I believe DLM has intervened, the automatic removal of banding is unlikely to happen for months even if the TP Link is the problem. I don't think you can monitor the error rate with the Hub, so you wan't be able to monitor it frown.

Sorry, at the moment I can't think of a better solution. I doubt if it is the drop wire itself, unless there are visible signs of damage on it, such as tree branch wear.

Hey Roberto,

Cheers for the help - wouldn't switching to the BT Hub cause further DLM intervention? Hence why I haven't bothered to switch back yet really!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 03-Apr-18 01:29:17
Print Post

A single disconnection/reconnection will cause no problem at all. I forget the exact number it is happy with, but it is a few in any single hour, Possibly a rolling hour, I donít know.

Having said that, it isnít something I would risk for more than a single hour in 24.

But banding does normally take ages to clear, Iím afraid.

Standard User richi
(member) Tue 03-Apr-18 08:16:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nitro93:
I've done quiet line and have heard a few crackles and pops
Right there. Those are your magic words.

If you're hearing noises with a wired phone plugged into the test socket, Openreach will send an engineer. Just get your CP to raise a voice fault.

In my experience, it might require a few engineer visits before you get a good 'un.

Best of luck!

3 km line on THTG: 17/1.2 Mb/s with Plusnet Business.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Tue 03-Apr-18 10:02:00
Print Post

In my old house I had this cabling.

I resolved it by getting a 2nd line installed, which meant modern twisted cabling being installed from the pole, as the drop wire was only a single pair.

I then had two FTTC lines and used load balancing to give myself a reasonable speed.

It only helped a little though, the aluminium section between the pole and the cab did more to hurt my speed as it turned out!

The old "speaker wire" stuff is much thicker, so while it is less impervious to noise due to being flat, it actually attenuates less.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to