Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Thu 19-Apr-18 12:10:42
Print Post

Re: What magic words will get my old dropwire changed?

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
The old "speaker wire" stuff is much thicker, so while it is less impervious to noise due to being flat, it actually attenuates less.

The old "speaker wire" as you put it is copper clad steel, where as the newer drop wire is all copper with a separate steel strengthening wire. I am pretty sure the new stuff is better than the CCS of the old stuff.
Standard User bsdnazz
(regular) Thu 19-Apr-18 17:56:11
Print Post

[re: richi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by richi:
In reply to a post by Nitro93:
I've done quiet line and have heard a few crackles and pops
Right there. Those are your magic words.

If you're hearing noises with a wired phone plugged into the test socket, Openreach will send an engineer. Just get your CP to raise a voice fault.

In my experience, it might require a few engineer visits before you get a good 'un.

Best of luck!

I'll second what richi says. If you've got noise on the line using a wired phone connected to the test socket log a voice fault and get that sorted first. If there's audible noise on the line its quite probably that there's inaudible noise in the VDSL frequencies causing errors and the DLM to kick in.

In the autumn of last year and over Christmas I had problems with my FTTC link and both times there was noise on the line so I logged a voice fault. Once the voice fault was fixed and the line quiet the DLM restored my speed over the course of about a week.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Apr-18 20:17:42
Print Post

[re: Nitro93] [link to this post]

DW3 *should* be replaced during a faulting visit ...

Can your ISP not raise a ‘SuperFast visit assured’ type job with Openreach ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nitro93
(learned) Sun 22-Apr-18 14:07:17
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

Engineer visit has been set up for next Saturday after other family members complaining about a constant crackly line. Will keep updated!
Standard User Nitro93
(learned) Sat 28-Apr-18 09:25:12
Print Post

Success! Engineer came round today, knew exactly what it was before he'd even entered the house. Needs a hoist to get up the pole so drop wire getting replaced next week, said they'd also do a DLM reset too so fingers crossed!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Apr-18 14:12:18
Print Post

Sounds promising smile

Obviously no hoist in today on their patch ... have had one out today over here.

Standard User Nitro93
(regular) Wed 09-May-18 09:17:06
Print Post

So a strange chain of events since the initial engineer visit. Have had two other engineers visit, all saying that they need a hoist to do the job and there’s none in the area at the moment.

I’ve been assigned a BT case manager who has told me that Openreach said they won’t need any access to the house to do the work. This is slightly confusing, don’t they need to terminate the new dropwire into the master socket? It seems like they’re only going to replace the overhead cable and then just attach it to the old one at the property, which seems a bit pointless to me if the fault could be anywhere along the line?

Anyone had any experience of this?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-May-18 11:28:53
Print Post

Does the old dropwire feed all the way in to the NTE ? If so, then yes, I'd think a full replacement was the best bet.

Standard User Nitro93
(regular) Fri 18-May-18 13:30:30
Print Post

Does the old dropwire feed all the way in to the NTE ? If so, then yes, I'd think a full replacement was the best bet.

All done! New faceplate and dropwire replaced. Still at 40/10 though. So I emailed our good friend Gavin (BT CEO) and they’ve looked into it. Turns out there’s an issue with the cabinet and my complaint has somehow only just flagged it. Port fault potentially?

BT case manager confirmed that i’m actually on an 80/20 package with BT Wholesale do cabinet issue definitely sounds like the issue here
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to