Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fuzed
(regular) Thu 10-May-18 19:12:21
Print Post

DSL-AC88U or D7800

[link to this post]

Guys, I've got to replace my Asis DSL-AC68U, which is causing speed drops due to the G.INP issue, a number of people have mentioned the AC88U is a good router. I've read that the D7800 isn't as good, firmware issues, [censored] support from netgear etc. I like the idea of the Asus, but support and firmware updates/fixes is always a good thing and I've seen regular firmware for the 68U.

Does anyone have a d7800 and know how reliable is it?
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Fri 11-May-18 19:45:18
Print Post

Re: DSL-AC88U or D7800

[re: fuzed] [link to this post]

I'd probably say D7800 but I've never used it. I had an EdgeRouter (by Ubiquiti), although it doesn't come with a modem built-in, but they make good and reliable products in my opinion. The only reason I don't use the EdgeRouter now is because I have a Firebrick 2900 from AAISP for line bonding and as my main router now.

Prior to the EdgeRouter I had a DrayTek 2860Vac and Fritz!Box 7490 (both come with modems built-in), I found them both reliable. As for ASUS, they messed up with the DSL-AC68U and to this day still haven't resolved the reliability issues it has with DSL connections, I'm personally avoiding future ASUS modem/modem+router products (standalone routers are generally fine).

Edited by Ixel (Fri 11-May-18 19:47:01)

Standard User IanBB
(committed) Fri 11-May-18 22:30:23
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Doesn't the DSL-AC68U have a Mediatek chipset whereas the DSL-AC88U has Broadcom?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ixel
(committed) Sat 12-May-18 11:45:55
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

It does, but with the way ASUS have handled the DSL-AC68U I wouldn't want to invest or trust another one of their modem based products again.
Standard User brookheather
(learned) Sat 12-May-18 13:16:45
Print Post

I would just put a Draytek Vigor 130 modem in front of your existing DSL-AC68U - that's what I did and mine hasn't dropped the connection once in over two months so far.
Standard User derekdel
(committed) Sun 13-May-18 08:57:09
Print Post

I just bought a D7800. Looks good to me so far.
Standard User fuzed
(regular) Sun 13-May-18 16:40:47
Print Post

went with the TP-Link VR900 V2 - looked at reviews and this one is pretty good for the money, fed up with the ASUS issues, the g.inp issue has caused my connection to sit interleaved for weeks now and dropped significantly - it was running at around 72ish MB and now tops out at 50MB.
  Print Thread

Jump to