Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nick_H
(experienced) Wed 30-May-18 11:02:59
Print Post

Replacement modem router - Asus or TP-Link?

[link to this post]

After having connection problems recently, I am considering replacing an old Netgear DG834G v2 modem router with something more modern. My budget is up to £100.

The following seem to be good options (both available from Currys):

Asus DSL-AC56U (£79.99)
TP-Link Archer VR400 (£69.99)

The Asus looks like a better router with gigabit LAN and a USB 3.0 port, but I have read that there may be potential modem stability issues.

Any opinions? Is there anything else I should consider?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-May-18 12:39:56
Print Post

Re: Replacement modem router - Asus or TP-Link?

[re: Nick_H] [link to this post]

Only looking at ADSL2+ ?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User danielhyde
(newbie) Wed 30-May-18 13:42:09
Print Post

Hi Nick,

I would personally recommend the TP-Link.
Both routers are Gigabit Ethernet and both have ADSL/VDSL modems built in.
As you said the Asus has USB 3 so if you plan to use the port for shared storage it may be the better option.
I sell TP-Link routers to any home users that require a better than ISP supplied router and the VR400 is one of the most popular.

Kind Regards
Daniel Hyde

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nick_H
(experienced) Wed 30-May-18 14:19:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Currently I am on an ADSL2+ product with Zen and paying just over £30 per month. Cheap fibre from Vodafone, PlusNet or SSE is becoming increasingly tempting. However, Zen have been very good in the past with no noticeable contention at peak times. I am slightly worried about the performance of a cheaper product.

I am constantly losing connection, and Zen can't find any fault on my line. They warned me that I could face a charge if they called out an Openreach engineer, so I thought that the first step would be to upgrade the modem router. Then if the problem can't be fixed migrating to VDSL2 is an option.
Standard User Nick_H
(experienced) Wed 30-May-18 14:30:09
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

Daniel,

Thanks for your advice.

Yes. The TP-Link has 1 gigabit LAN/WAN port - the Asus has 4 gigabit LAN ports.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_A...
https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSL-AC56U/specificat...

I probably won't be using the USB port anyway so that is why I was considering both routers.

Nick.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-May-18 14:46:48
Print Post

The TP-Link has a Broadcom chipset which is generally the preference for VDSL2 i.e. should mean G.INP and vectoring support

Moving to dual band wireless should help as the 5GHz band is less prone to congestion/interference even if when we are talking about ADSL type speeds

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-May-18 15:24:06
Print Post

You could check what make of cabinet you are connected to as it makes sense to use a router that works well with the cabinets chipset. See Kitz website.

Michael Chare
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Wed 30-May-18 17:23:09
Print Post

I wouldn't touch ASUS modems, they aren't the best for reliability in my experience and quite some others too unfortunately.

TP-Link is probably your best option of the two.

Broadcom and Lantiq chipsets are the best, but their performance varies depending on your line and the chipset the DSLAM uses. For my line, I find the DrayTek (has a Lantiq chipset) works best compared to Broadcom.

Edited by Ixel (Wed 30-May-18 17:24:39)

Standard User fuzed
(regular) Wed 30-May-18 17:44:37
Print Post

Go with the TPLINK - I've got the v900 V2 - great speeds , only downside is the GUI and limited support for stats - TPLINK are a bit [censored] for that side for that sorta thing.
Standard User Nick_H
(experienced) Wed 30-May-18 18:25:54
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

It is a Huawei 288/384HD FTTC cabinet, which means a Huawei MA5603T line card with a Broadcom chipset. I am about 600m away.

So I assume that a TP-Link also with a Broadcom chipset would be a sensible choice if I decide to upgrade to VDSL2 in the future?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to