Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-May-18 21:15:54
Print Post

Re: Replacement modem router - Asus or TP-Link?

[re: Nick_H] [link to this post]

I've had good experiences with both makes and the last Modem/Router I used on my last ADSL2+ connection was an Asus DSLN55U. It's just been packed away at the back of the cupboard at present. I'd offer to give it away, but I guess the negative aspect is that the Firmware Version probably hasn't been updated for some years now.

I've got the Tp Link VR900 V1 which caters for the popular technologies and the Version 2 is available now:-

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-5030...

I'm not sure what chipset this Version 2 utilises, but I'm sure some of the people here will know.
There are Version 1's around too, but I've seen Version 2 sell for around £120. (sorry I know slightly higher than you suggested budget wise)

Edited by Vorlon (Wed 30-May-18 21:24:41)

Standard User wdg
(newbie) Mon 04-Jun-18 15:01:35
Print Post

[re: Nick_H] [link to this post]

FWIW I am just about to return an ASUS DSL-AC56U to the shop.
It was I thought a good router/modem - nice looking, good interface and easy setup: fixed my dodgy ADSL problems with better than Plusnet did.
logged in in the morning I could not et any internet Short version - somehow, overnightt, my Macbook Pro or router thought I was in Germany (I do like Bavari! but haven't been anywhere like that for years!)

So -OK eventually ended up trying a firmware reset and reload.

BIG problem - couldn't load drivers. Turns out that, unstated anywhere by ASUS, they cannot load drivers from a Mac - as confirmed by an email from them this a.m."...unfortunately... etc..."

What I did find intriguing was that apparently this model was first released in 2013!

Anyway, I too will be following this thread - now I need one that I am sure will work with my Macs.
TerryB
Standard User wdg
(newbie) Mon 04-Jun-18 15:33:49
Print Post

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

As posted on this thread - I am looking for a new modem router to go with my Mac.
I was looking up the TP-Link Archer vr900 at http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tp-link/1404497/tp-li...
when I found this
"Specifications Modem: VDSL2, Wi-Fi standard: 802.11ac, Stated speed: 1300Mbit/s, USB ports: 1x USB3, 1x USB2, Wall mountable: No
www.dabs.com
The Archer VR900 is the ADSL modem-equipped version of TP-Linkís Archer C9, one of the best cable-only 802.11ac routers Iíve seen. Itís not just suitable for ADSL connections though Ė itís also VDSL compatible, so will work with Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) and cable connections too, although not with Fibre To The Premises (FTTP) lines. "

This left me confused - can please point me to something on this since I am trying to "future proof" myself and have been told that our village will (thanks to a grant) all be getting FTTP next year!
TIA - TerryB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Jun-18 16:37:47
Print Post

[re: wdg] [link to this post]

Take a look at pictures on https://amzn.to/2HkkYmK

LAN port 4 has a dual purpose, i.e. can operate as an Ethernet WAN port, which is what you need to plugging into a Fibre ONT which is what you get when FTTP is deployed from Openreach, though some FTTP deployments use an all in one device i.e. fibre ONT and router built in, so you have little choice but to use their kit.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ADSLvirgin
(newbie) Tue 05-Jun-18 17:04:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just in case someone here knows - I need a replacement for my ageing Billion Bipac 7800N, but I MUST have the ability to adjust the SNR to optimise speed, as I'm 2 miles from the exchange and it's the only way to get the speed anywhere near acceptable.

Do the TP-links have this ability (usually via a hidden 'feature') please? The rest of the specs look impressive.

If not what's the best modem router for ADSL with SNR adjustment 'tweaking'?

Many thanks

....the first 100 years without ADSL were the worst. And the next 100 years. They were the worst too.....
Standard User Glovepup
(newbie) Sat 09-Jun-18 15:19:50
Print Post

[re: ADSLvirgin] [link to this post]

I had one of these on my ADSL and it's chip allows you to Telnet to it to tweak the SNR.

TP-LINK TD-W8960N

If memory serves me right, the newer versions don't have the option. Worth checking.

Thanks
Glovepup

www.twitter.com/glovepup
Standard User ADSLvirgin
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-18 22:13:23
Print Post

[re: Glovepup] [link to this post]

Ah - that's an option I hadn't thought of - I'll investigate... Many Thanks Glovepup!

....the first 100 years without ADSL were the worst. And the next 100 years (without fibre).... they were the worst too.....
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to