Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techtalker
(newbie) Thu 31-May-18 19:24:17
Print Post

Some questions about the drytek 130.

[link to this post]

From what I was reading on Amazon the Drytek is an ADSL/VDSL modem. If that is correct then does that mean I could replace the Vodafone router with it. and get and use a Netgear nighthawk as the router?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-May-18 20:34:40
Print Post

Re: Some questions about the drytek 130.

[re: techtalker] [link to this post]

If you have your vodafone login details

Alternatively a VDSL2 modem in bridge mode will be happy plugging into the Ethernet WAN port (hidden under sticker) of the vodafone router and leave the Vodafone router to authenticate and provide wireless

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Jun-18 11:24:42
Print Post

The last page of this thread on the Kitz forum discusses the relative merits of three of the Zyxel routers used in bridge mode.

I just use an ebay Zyxel VMG8924-B10A for Vodafone. Connected to an Huawei cabinet and very stable.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ixel
(committed) Fri 01-Jun-18 15:49:56
Print Post

DrayTek make some good devices, I use two myself (as bridged modems into a Firebrick 2900, a Vigor 2862 and 2860). They also act as handy backups should the Firebrick fail for some reason.

Some may say Broadcom (Zyxel uses the Broadcom chipset) works better for their line, while some others may say Lantiq (DrayTek uses the Lantiq chipset) is better for their line. One chipset doesn't fit all lines unfortunately. In my case Lantiq works best on both of my lines, I'm also connected to the somewhat troublesome/archaic ECI DSLAM, FTTC/VDSL2.

Regarding your scenario, I imagine it would work.

Edited by Ixel (Fri 01-Jun-18 15:50:16)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Jun-18 19:24:30
Print Post

Alternatively the "Netgear D7000v2 Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router" is a VDSL2 router so I would have thought that you could use it to completely replace the Vodafone router.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to