Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Jun-18 11:10:40
Print Post

Re: Could a poor quality router be the cause of disconnects?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If a two box solution is OK then you get a much wider range of router options, i.e. the cheap zyxel and TPLink W9980 in bridge mode and then take your pick of the fancy Ethernet routers without having to worry about VDSL2 chipset issues in the router.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jun-18 14:37:39
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

If dead on arrival then I would expect ebay/paypal to get you your money back, and I have actually had several firmware updates in the past year. Positive comments on forum.kitz.co uk. Once you can establish a wifi connection that is 3-4 times as fast as your broadband connection speed then faster wifi speeds won't help for internet access.

Michael Chare
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jun-18 15:09:46
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
If dead on arrival then I would expect ebay/paypal to get you your money back

That's not quite the same as a proper warranty though is it? What if your second hand router works upon receipt and then develops a fault X months later? I very much doubt ebay or paypal would refund you as the item was received in a working condition.

If the OP wants a cheap as chips router similar to a second hand Zyxel VMG8924, but brand new and with a warranty, then he should consider something like the TP Link TD-W9970 which i think uses the same Broadcom DSL chipset as the Zyxel anyway, for £35 from Amazon. Alternatively he could use the TP Link in bridge mode and hook that up to the best standalone router, the Netgear R7800 for a top class setup.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 10-Jun-18 21:53:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jun-18 23:17:59
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

As compared to the TP Link TD-W9970, the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A has faster wired ethernet, AC wifi and a better Broadcom chipset. I had to t returning a Netgear DGN2000 which I bought new because the ethernet ports kept failing. I gave up in the end!

Michael Chare
Standard User techtalker
(newbie) Mon 11-Jun-18 06:05:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks, everyone for all the help and suggestions. I am going to go look at some of the devices suggested, and see which I want to go with.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to