Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techtalker
(newbie) Sat 09-Jun-18 07:56:28
Print Post

Could a poor quality router be the cause of disconnects?

[link to this post]

I decided to take the plunge and switched to Vodafone. Generally, things have been good. But every few days the router will disconnect for a few seconds then reconnect. This was not happening on BT.

The only change has been the router which obviously had to be switched from BT's to Vodafone's. One thing I have noticed is the sync speed. It originally started off at the expected 68mbs but over the next few days increased. Now it is only 1 or 2mbs off the max speed of 80mb. Where as on BT I was getting a constant 70mb sync speed.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-Jun-18 10:27:26
Print Post

Re: Could a poor quality router be the cause of disconnects?

[re: techtalker] [link to this post]

That sounds more like you now have a better quality of router rather than a faulty one.

My guess is that your new router is capable of using G.INP, and the disconnections have been because DLM has therefore been able to lower your Noise Margin. It does this in 1dB steps, to a minimum setting of 3dB instead of the default 6dB.

It’s hard to be sure, without fairly full stats. I believe those available on the Vodafone router are quite basic, but whatever you can find might be useful.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71307/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Jun-18 10:46:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You can get attenuation, sync and noise margin from it.

That said I am in a multi-week process of one week with Vodafone router on its own, and then another with TPLink W9970 in front as modem.

So far the weeks with the Vodafone on its own has 1 or 2 resyncs at night, but the TPlink is hanging on in there. As I only stream TV these days I notice the drop outs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Jun-18 23:35:33
Print Post

I think I read somewhere the Vodaphone router is notoriously unstable. You would be better off looking for a better router like a ZyXEL 8924 on ebay.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User techtalker
(newbie) Sun 10-Jun-18 06:06:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I did wonder if the router was adjusting something. These are the current stats. https://i.imgur.com/N05oLPp.png

I was considering switching the router as the wifi has poor range. that was the same story on BT however so I don't see that as a problem specific to only the Vodafone Router. Plus It would be nice to have hardware with good wifi and features I want.

Edited by techtalker (Sun 10-Jun-18 06:10:42)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jun-18 07:56:40
Print Post

Correct, the Vodafone supplied router is known for random/frequent disconnections, causing DLM to mess up your FTTC line profile.

I would stay away from Zyxel routers as the wifi on them is nothing special and they're not cheap either.

If you want the crème de la crème of DSL routers with a solid xDSL chipset and excellent wifi then one of the Netgear D7800, TP Link VR2800, Billion 8900AX-2400 or Asus DSL-AC88U will be an excellent choice. Personally I would go for the Billion out of those.

If the above are out of your price range then something like the TP Link VR900v2, TP Link VR600, Netgear D6400 or Billion 8800NL are good cheaper alternatives but not as good as the above.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 10-Jun-18 08:01:16)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Jun-18 07:59:23
Print Post

Those stats junk my theory! I’ll fall in with the change router option.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71307/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jun-18 08:50:32
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I regard less than £25 for an ebay Zyxel VMG8924-B10A to be a reasonable price for a router which generally stays connected to a Vodafone FTTC service. The Wifi range is reasonable a bit better than the Vodafone router's.

I am surprised the OP can't get his BT router to connect if there is an option to enter a connection userid and password.

Michael Chare
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jun-18 09:06:24
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I regard less than £25 for an ebay Zyxel VMG8924-B10A to be a reasonable price for a router which generally stays connected to a Vodafone FTTC service. The Wifi range is reasonable a bit better than the Vodafone router's.

I am surprised the OP can't get his BT router to connect if there is an option to enter a connection userid and password.

If buying the Zyxel through ebay for say £25 then you're potentially throwing money down the drain as it won't come with any sort of warranty, since most/all sellers are private non-commercial sellers looking to get rid of their unwanted router - it may not even be brand new. Looking on Amazon, the cheapest is £80 (incl delivery) which is a lot of money for a router which is no where near the best for wifi range. For £20 less he/she might as well buy a Billion 8800NL.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 10-Jun-18 09:14:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Jun-18 09:29:29
Print Post

It’s worth mentioning that the Billion 8800NL R2, which I have and am quite pleased with is reported to have a cheaper Broadcom chipset than the plain 8800NL, and apparently the plain one sync’s a bit higher. Though that may not be too relevant to the OP, given the current stats.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Jun-18 11:10:40
Print Post

If a two box solution is OK then you get a much wider range of router options, i.e. the cheap zyxel and TPLink W9980 in bridge mode and then take your pick of the fancy Ethernet routers without having to worry about VDSL2 chipset issues in the router.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jun-18 14:37:39
Print Post

If dead on arrival then I would expect ebay/paypal to get you your money back, and I have actually had several firmware updates in the past year. Positive comments on forum.kitz.co uk. Once you can establish a wifi connection that is 3-4 times as fast as your broadband connection speed then faster wifi speeds won't help for internet access.

Michael Chare
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jun-18 15:09:46
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
If dead on arrival then I would expect ebay/paypal to get you your money back

That's not quite the same as a proper warranty though is it? What if your second hand router works upon receipt and then develops a fault X months later? I very much doubt ebay or paypal would refund you as the item was received in a working condition.

If the OP wants a cheap as chips router similar to a second hand Zyxel VMG8924, but brand new and with a warranty, then he should consider something like the TP Link TD-W9970 which i think uses the same Broadcom DSL chipset as the Zyxel anyway, for £35 from Amazon. Alternatively he could use the TP Link in bridge mode and hook that up to the best standalone router, the Netgear R7800 for a top class setup.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 10-Jun-18 21:53:14)

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jun-18 23:17:59
Print Post

As compared to the TP Link TD-W9970, the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A has faster wired ethernet, AC wifi and a better Broadcom chipset. I had to t returning a Netgear DGN2000 which I bought new because the ethernet ports kept failing. I gave up in the end!

Michael Chare
Standard User techtalker
(newbie) Mon 11-Jun-18 06:05:56
Print Post

Thanks, everyone for all the help and suggestions. I am going to go look at some of the devices suggested, and see which I want to go with.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to