Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Glovepup
(newbie) Sat 09-Jun-18 14:52:37
Print Post

FTTC and Draytek 2760

[link to this post]

After some advice please.

Recently got FTTC deployed by Openreach, so nice to go from 2mb to 40. Rather than use the ISP's 'basic' router I bought a second hand Draytek 2760 on Ebay.

First month everything was fine, suddenly started seeing line drops and after three OR engineer visits I feel I'm in a bit of a tight spot.

Draytek router the other day would be fine for a few hours, then it may suddenly lose sync 2/3 or maybe 4 times in an hour. When I first had issues I plugged in the ISP's router and I noticed not only did it drop from time to time, throughput was terrible.

This time around I've repeated that exercise, now the ISP router is syncing slower but looks to be remaining solid for approx 24 hours. It has yet not to drop for two days.

Speaking with someone at the ISP, they can see errors on the line. OR struggle to see a problem. What can I do? Is the Draytek at fault? I have one of the new master sockets so no filter is required. Do I go and purchase another router? Seriously the ISP one is bad, can't even enable ping on the WAN and cannot get dynamic DNS to work.

Any suggestions welcome.

Before I forget, Draytek SNR would normally range between 4/5/6 and the ISP router is now at 4.4 but yesterday was at 6.5.

Thanks
Glovepup

www.twitter.com/glovepup
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Jun-18 16:39:53
Print Post

Re: FTTC and Draytek 2760

[re: Glovepup] [link to this post]

"new master sockets so no filter is required"

If the master socket just has a phone socket then you still need microfilters, if it has two sockets on for broadband and one for phone then no microfilters needed, but if extension is wiring wrong that will be having a negative impact.

The SNR figures are nice, but without connection speeds and attenuation hard to say much other than either there is variable noise levels or the DLM is trying the lower and faster noise margin settings.

The 2760 is a Lantiq chipset so should be OK with things like G.INP and Vectoring, but it may just be that a different modem will behave better, so if getting another device find one with a Broadcom chipset in case it makes a difference. In the first instance though check you have the latest firmware on the Draytek

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Sat 09-Jun-18 18:37:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You really should get the latest Draytek firmware as they've recently issued a security advisory for their routers.

The latest for the 2760 is 3.8.8.2 BT

Edited by Tacitus (Sat 09-Jun-18 18:37:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Glovepup
(newbie) Sat 09-Jun-18 22:02:33
Print Post

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

Thanks, already upgraded.

Thanks
Glovepup

www.twitter.com/glovepup
Standard User Glovepup
(newbie) Sat 09-Jun-18 22:05:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
"new master sockets so no filter is required"

If the master socket just has a phone socket then you still need microfilters, if it has two sockets on for broadband and one for phone then no microfilters needed, but if extension is wiring wrong that will be having a negative impact.

The SNR figures are nice, but without connection speeds and attenuation hard to say much other than either there is variable noise levels or the DLM is trying the lower and faster noise margin settings.

The 2760 is a Lantiq chipset so should be OK with things like G.INP and Vectoring, but it may just be that a different modem will behave better, so if getting another device find one with a Broadcom chipset in case it makes a difference. In the first instance though check you have the latest firmware on the Draytek

here is a screenshot of the router stats: https://ibb.co/jvWsho

NTE5c is the master socket, so two ports. Already running latest firmware due to security announcement from Draytek.

Thanks
Glovepup

www.twitter.com/glovepup
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Jun-18 22:14:47
Print Post

The error seconds suggest that the modem is seeing some noise events and it may be the odd one is bad enough to force a resync, likely that if the pattern continues DLM will slow you down slightly and this should increase stability

The FEC is high but interleaving means that these are corrected errors

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Glovepup
(newbie) Sat 09-Jun-18 22:25:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The error seconds suggest that the modem is seeing some noise events and it may be the odd one is bad enough to force a resync, likely that if the pattern continues DLM will slow you down slightly and this should increase stability

The FEC is high but interleaving means that these are corrected errors

We have two FTTC line into the premises, that line is with another ISP using their standard router and getting 53mb. I am worried that this line is going to keep getting slower, but as you say likely to become more stable.

Thanks
Glovepup

www.twitter.com/glovepup
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jun-18 10:19:23
Print Post

If you have two FTTC lines, the obvious thing would be to swap routers between lines and see if the instability moves too. If it does, it's the router. If not, it's the line.

I've done this exact same thing to show a line fault on another site.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User Glovepup
(newbie) Mon 11-Jun-18 09:50:35
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
If you have two FTTC lines, the obvious thing would be to swap routers between lines and see if the instability moves too. If it does, it's the router. If not, it's the line.

I've done this exact same thing to show a line fault on another site.

I'm annoyed that I have not thought of this myself!! Will certainly try that.

Thanks
Glovepup

www.twitter.com/glovepup
Standard User Glovepup
(newbie) Mon 11-Jun-18 12:08:20
Print Post

Line speed continues to drop:

https://ibb.co/hHFia8

Thanks
Glovepup