Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Jul-18 18:53:37
Print Post

Hardware to try DD-WRT

[link to this post]

I would like to buy a 2nd hand router to try DD-WRT or similar Linux router software. The DD-WRT website suggests a TP-Link Archer C7. Is there anything else I should consider?

Michael Chare
Standard User rhetherington
(committed) Sun 29-Jul-18 21:10:04
Print Post

Re: Hardware to try DD-WRT

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Go with OpenWrt instead. It's the original (and far superior) firmware.

If you don't care about 802.11ac and 802.11n is good enough then devices using the ath9k driver are the best supported. The ath9k driver is completely open source without even closed firmware required. This has allowed it to be optimised and it is the focus of projects like Make-Wifi-Fast. The TP-Link WDR3600 is a dual-band router that uses ath9k for its radios and can be picked up cheaply (i bought two off eBay in the last couple of weeks. £14 and £18 respectively, including shipping).

802.11ac was a step back because every single driver now requires a closed firmware binary blob in order to work. These firmwares handle most of the wifi functionality and so there's very little that can be done to optimise or improve things. The most promising 802.11ac routers are using MediaTek SOCs/Wifi. The closed-source firmware is very minimal and most of the functionality can be done in an open-source driver, MT76. The MT76 driver is in its early days though and no where near as mature as the ath9k driver.

If you want an 802.11ac router and don't mind jumping through hoops to unlock and install OpenWrt then the "Xiaomi Mi Wifi Router 3G" can be picked up new for under £40. These use MediaTek chips and support both software and hardware flow offloading under OpenWrt 18.06 which increases LAN->WAN performance to almost gigabit speeds (i measured 912Mbps using iperf). Be aware though that while i had no problems with the 5GHz wifi the 2.4GHz isn't yet well supported (no ability to change transmit power levels and it locks the router up after a while. Disabling the 2.4GHz radio resolves the problem).

Unless you have a compelling need for 802.11ac it's probably best to stick with an ath9k-compatible device.

Edited by rhetherington (Sun 29-Jul-18 21:10:51)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Jul-18 23:37:38
Print Post

Re: Hardware to try DD-WRT

[re: rhetherington] [link to this post]

Thank you very much for the interesting post. Maybe I will bid for the TP-Link WDR3600s on ebay and see how I get on.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to