Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(committed) Thu 20-Sep-18 10:10:29
Print Post

Devolo 5Ghz

[link to this post]

I have a Devolo d500 base unit and a d500 repeater. I now want to get 5 Ghz to replace the 2.4ghz repeater.

Do I need a new base unit or can I get just a new 5Ghz repeater. For either option what model should I get?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Sep-18 10:20:25
Print Post

Re: Devolo 5Ghz

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

Assuming the new 5GHZ device is compatible at the HomePlug level with the old d500 base unit then just the repeater can be replaced.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User athegn
(committed) Thu 20-Sep-18 13:01:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for your reply. But when I look at Devolo website it says 200Mbps will connect to 500Mbps at 200Mbps. It does not say a 1200Mbps (5Ghz) repeater will connect and broadcast at 1200Mbps from a 500Mbps base unit.

So do I have to get a base unit that starts at 1200Mbps to get a repeater to broadcast 5Ghz?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Sep-18 13:07:11
Print Post

From https://www.devolo.co.uk/service/faq/

"Yes, devolo products of different speed classes are fully compatible with each other. In a mixed network, each adapter connects to every other adapter at the highest possible speed. It does so independently of the other adapters in the network. In a network consisting of a 200 Mbps adapter and two 500 Mbps adapters, for example, the 200 Mbps adapter will connect to the 500 Mbps adapters at a speed of 200 Mbps. At the same time, the 500 Mbps adapters connect to each other at the full 500 Mbps.The only exception here is old devices with a speed of 14 and 85 Mbps. Unfortunately, these are not compatible with current products."

So yes the 1200 repeater will work, but throughput will be limited by the speeds supported by the 500 unit. The wireless side of things is different to the HomePlug side of things, so you will get the 802.11ac and benefits of using 5GHz

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JHo1
(member) Thu 20-Sep-18 16:47:53
Print Post

Before splashing out on a faster homeplug it might be worth testing the actual connection speed. You could use Devolo's own utility or just try a file transfer.

The 5GHz migh be worth having if you are surrounded by other people's 2.4GHz wifi but I doubt that you'll get much, or any, speed increase back to your router.

John
Standard User athegn
(committed) Thu 20-Sep-18 17:27:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you, Your reply has cleared ip several matters I wad unsure of.
Standard User athegn
(committed) Thu 20-Sep-18 17:54:45
Print Post

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

The very reason for wanting 5Ghz is that you mentioned. Neighbours on either side of me have just changed. Both, unlike their predecessors have wifi - widows replaced by young families.. 2.4Ghz now crowded; empty chanels now used. Worst is one with his router on other side of party wall to where I want mine. Like him this is the best place!
Standard User athegn
(committed) Thu 20-Sep-18 17:56:20
Print Post

Sorry to return but from the data sheet of Devolo 1200 I get Standards of 802.3, 802.3u, 802.3ab, 802.3x, 802.3az and 802.1p

But no mention of 802.11ac

Do the standards mentioned cover 802.11ac?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Sep-18 18:26:54
Print Post

It has 802.11ac - covered in various reviews

Print Thread

Jump to