Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deanobaj
(newbie) Sat 06-Oct-18 16:11:21
Print Post

Constant disconnects all week BT Fibre Draytek 2860n

[link to this post]

Hoping someone may be able to offer any advice or ideas how to solve this mystery....

Since Monday our BT Business Fibre connection on a Draytek 2860 (firmware is 3.8.9.1) has been disconnecting and reconnecting randomly. It has been fine since we were first connected 3 years ago. The DSL link is constant however the connection to BT is connected from anything from 1 minute to 2 hours then loses connection and automatically reconnects after 10-20 seconds. No settings changed on the Draytek, have rebooted, and to honest this router has been rock solid since day one.

On Monday BT had on their service status page loads of areas that had connectivity issues, including our area (Watford) so put it down to that. Service status is still showing many areas are still having issues however our area is not shown anymore so I contacted BT. Customer rep could see there were many logins over 4 days so they sent an engineer who checked the line to show full sync (which it always has) and stayed connected for 45 mins (he also changed the socket as it was an older one) so as this seemed satisfactory to him he was then on his way. About an hour after he left, typically it disconnected again and reconnected and we're back to the same thing......

Any other things this could be before I contact BT again? Could it be the problems BT had at the start of the week are still causing problems? Could it be the router?
Standard User mbames
(member) Sun 07-Oct-18 10:09:18
Print Post

Re: Constant disconnects all week BT Fibre Draytek 2860n

[re: deanobaj] [link to this post]

Have you still got a BT supplied HG612/Homehub kit? Try popping that on the line for a day or so and see if that maintains the connection ok.

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User radar
(learned) Mon 08-Oct-18 05:16:56
Print Post

Have you tried updating the firmware to latest which is 3.8.9.3 ?

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2860

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User deanobaj
(newbie) Mon 08-Oct-18 13:20:52
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

Have got the HG612 kit somewhere - I'll plug it in to see if the connection holds. Funnily enough, the connection has been holding yesterday and today for the longest time since last week - approx 5-8 hours a time before disconnecting and reconnecting shortly after.
Standard User deanobaj
(newbie) Mon 08-Oct-18 13:23:50
Print Post

[re: radar] [link to this post]

I haven't updated to that firmware as yet, that was next on my list of things to try. I looked at the change log between 3.8.9.1 and 3.8.9.3 - didn't see anything about disconnecting issues but I guess its best to have the latest firmware to eliminate any bad firmware's that may possibly be causing problems.

Edited by deanobaj (Mon 08-Oct-18 13:29:00)

Standard User deanobaj
(newbie) Tue 09-Oct-18 21:52:11
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

So I updated the firmware of the Draytek to 3.8.9.3 and still had the same problems, internet cutting in and out throughout the day, lasting anything from a minute to a few hours then disconnecting randomly then reconnecting.

Plugged in the BT HG612 modem and the DSL light stayed on, looked promising. Then plugged the ethernet into the WAN2 port of the Draytek, entered BT login details, internet came straight on and hasn't disconnected once..... Real test will be if it stays on by the morning.

So does this mean the modem inside the Draytek is knackered or are there any settings that need to change to keep the connection active without having to go via the HG612?
Standard User simon_mcc
(newbie) Wed 10-Oct-18 11:06:46
Print Post

I've seen this an number of times over the last 2 years with my Draytek 2860ac, to the point where I have the Huawei mounted beside the Draytek, so that I can switch over to using the Huawei as a VDSL to Ethernet adapter until the Draytek firmware catches up, I've always just assumed that it was new FW landing on the VDSL DSLAM in the street cabinet, and the Draytek FW taking a few cycles to catch up. I'm currently running 3.8.4.3_BT (DSL 576D17_A/B/C HW: A) without any issue (using the built-in VDSL interface on the Draytek)
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 10-Oct-18 13:03:07
Print Post

[re: simon_mcc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon_mcc:
I've seen this an number of times over the last 2 years with my Draytek 2860ac, to the point where I have the Huawei mounted beside the Draytek, so that I can switch over to using the Huawei as a VDSL to Ethernet adapter until the Draytek firmware catches up, I've always just assumed that it was new FW landing on the VDSL DSLAM in the street cabinet, and the Draytek FW taking a few cycles to catch up. I'm currently running 3.8.4.3_BT (DSL 576D17_A/B/C HW: A) without any issue (using the built-in VDSL interface on the Draytek)

You said I'm currently running 3.8.4.3_BT (DSL 576D17_A/B/C HW: A)

Do we have a typo here as 3.8.9.3_BT (576D17_A/B/C HW: A) is what I think you mean?

As for the OPs problem, can we assume that the Active Mode is set to "Always On"?
Standard User simon_mcc
(newbie) Wed 10-Oct-18 13:20:17
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Nope, I'm just running an older firmware: https://www.evernote.com/l/AAJxXmyqA5ZMr6GAvhrdq7964...
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 10-Oct-18 14:08:23
Print Post

[re: simon_mcc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon_mcc:
Nope, I'm just running an older firmware: https://www.evernote.com/l/AAJxXmyqA5ZMr6GAvhrdq7964...

Wow. Since that release there have been 12 Regular updates and 1 Critical update, I would humbly suggest you take note of the critical update at the very least!

I would not recommend this to be a solution to the OP as the downgrade to that version would mean a complete manual configuration of user input and would make his network terribly insecure at the end of the day.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to