Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tommey74
(newbie) Wed 31-Oct-18 14:05:00
Print Post

G.fast installation next week looking for alternative modem

[link to this post]

Right I have been looking online for an alternative modem for use on BT's new G.fast service and everything seems to point to the ASUS DSL-AC88U.

Are there any others I should consider before ordering one of the above, does anyone here use one or have any experiences with G.fast that they would like to share?

Any replies would be very much appreciated.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sat 03-Nov-18 20:16:51
Print Post

Re: G.fast installation next week looking for alternative mo

[re: tommey74] [link to this post]

**The Asus DSL-AC88U - full Broadcom stats and some elements work with DslStats.

BT Smart Hub X - limited stats provided by its WebUI.

Huawei MT992 - no stats

add to that with..

Comtrend GFR-9511U
&
Technicolor DGA2231

Both of which are the only MCT approved G.Fast modems (published at least).

https://uno.help/knowledge-base/article/openreach-ap...

No personal experience, just a list of devices from a post I made elsewhere.

** The Asus used to need debug firmware to enable telnet (for full detailed stats). No idea if this is still the case.
Standard User j0el
(learned) Sun 04-Nov-18 06:19:26
Print Post

Re: G.fast installation next week looking for alternative mo

[re: tommey74] [link to this post]

There are a few people floating around somewhere that have had G.fast installed. Hopefully they can drop by and give their experiences. I don't yet have G.fast, but I would imagine the improvements in the resync time should make those loss of syncs a little more bearable. And, to my knowledge, Seamless Rate Adaption (SRA) is enabled which will allow for the sync speed to adjust based on conditions without a resync.

I've seen your estimates and they look pretty good, so you must be no more than about 250m away from your cabinet. What estimates have BT themselves provided you with? Should be close to what the BTW checker says anyway.

I agree with what j0hn says. I'd like to add that there aren't many options for G.fast modems/modem-router combos at the moment.

There's also the ZyXEL XMG5101-S10A (modem) that supports G.fast, but I have not seen any trace of it in the UK yet and it is not MCT approved. It's another modem that won't have access to stats though (I think), which seems to be way that we're headed until some other vendors start bringing out combined units (the modems so far only really have one port for Ethernet, which may not have stats access). I have heard that Billion are looking into options, but no timescales on that.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to