Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 07-Nov-18 01:17:36
Print Post

Have a BT HomeHub 6, need router to handle VPN

[link to this post]

Hi i hope thi sis the right place for this was unsure if it should go here or Security forum, so mods please move if needed.

I will be the first to admit i don't know a great deal about my router and VPN come to mention it, so please bear with me.

So i have FTTP with BT's HH6 now i run a Amazon Firestick with latest Kodi on it and people say i should use a VPN, so taking that advice on board i have 2 options install some kind of app on the firestick and that will send all my traffic via the VPN on the firestick, however if i was to then use the phone/table/PC none of my traffic would go through the VPN so my understanding is i need to install a VPN on the router itself, that way ALL my traffic will go through the VPN, am i right?

If i am can the HH6 do this (i have goggled and seems people are having tons of trouble doing this), if so, any links to hold my hand? If not What other router would people suggest, i live in Central London in a small (everything in London is) 1 bed flat so wifi performance is not vital but getting decent bang for buck would be cool and i have no idea on cost would £100 cover it?

All1
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Nov-18 10:19:18
Print Post

Re: Have a BT HomeHub 6, need router to handle VPN

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

I assume that you wish to run a VPN client and connect to a public VPN server.

It is not very clear what benefit you expect to get from doing this.

This is a discussion about alternative public VPN servers and this is the comparison chart mentioned.

VPN clients are not very easy to configure. If you can't configure a client on the BT HH6 you might do better replacing it with a different router, or you could have a different router downstream of the HH6 and just ensure that anything that you want to connect to the VPN connects via that router. I have a TP-Link Archer C7 running DD-WRT. It is downstream of my main router and I use it to connect to a private VPN server at another site using Openvpn protocol.

Michael Chare
Standard User mking90031
(newbie) Wed 07-Nov-18 10:48:01
Print Post

Hi,

I think you've been told a few porkies...I've not used a Fire stick before but if it's setup is anything like Chromecast then you do NOT need a VPN unless you're thinking of accessing it remotely. Have you tried to install & run Kodi as it is? Can use your Fire stick work without Kodi? Does Kodi connect without the need for VPN?

Just my 2 cents worth.....

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 330Mb/sec Down & 20Mb/sec Up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GonePostal
(member) Wed 07-Nov-18 11:04:44
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

Maybe the people advising the OP to use a VPN are streaming stuff they wouldn't like their ISP to see.
Standard User skandia2
(newbie) Wed 07-Nov-18 11:06:31
Print Post

Hi

If VPN is only needed for the Kodi App on the Firestick, I would suggest you do not change the BT HH6 at all.
Buy an addition router (to create an additional WifI signal).
Connect the additional router to the HH6 via Ethernet and configure the additional router to be the VPN client.
Then you will have two wifi networks. One via the VPN and the other the standard BT Wifi.

At this point you can then spend as long as necessary setting up the VPN without affecting the HH6 or your BT broadband.

I suggest you google setting up a router for your VPN of choice.
Some TP Link routers may natively support some types VPN.
Others may need re flashing with OpenWRT etc
  Print Thread

Jump to