Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Dec-18 16:35:22
Print Post

Replacing a HG612 ?

[link to this post]

I have an unlocked HG612 that was originally supplied with BT Infinity probably in late 2012. I actually have another one in a box, in the cupboard. I use DSLstats to log the status of the VDSL line.

I want to replace with something newer - however I want the same features if possible. Access to VDSL stats (out of band) and Ethernet connection to my main ASUS router which handles the PPPoE login to the ISP.

I've read a couple of other threads, but most people want all-in-one devices. The obvious option seems to be the Draytek 130, but I read that it isn't a Broadcom chip?

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Sat 15-Dec-18 17:05:47
Print Post

Re: Replacing a HG612 ?

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Depends what your budget is. But, you could purchase one of the Billion 8800 models (NOT the NL R2), or one of the ZyXEL's (the VMG8324/8924 are quite good, as well as the VMG1312-B10A). The problem with the ZyXEL's is the firmware is very buggy, compared to the Billion's. Do you require 5GHz AC WiFi? If not, then the ZyXEL VMG8324 or Billion 8800NL R1 would be perfect (though the NL is hard to find new, but they are sold on eBay fairly frequently).

If you still want to use the Asus router, then you will have to setup the other router in bridge mode. Some people like having one device doing the routing, and one as the modem, but AIO's obviously reduce the amount of wires etc.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sat 15-Dec-18 17:06:36)

Standard User sidef
(learned) Sat 15-Dec-18 19:25:23
Print Post

I have replaced my HG612 with ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A running in bridge mode - so "poor" wifi isn't an issue as my router does that side of things. Connection has been up for more than 6 months now with G.INP enabled and 3dB noise margin. Works out of the box with HG612 modem stats (set modem type to VMG8324-B10a). Also works with Dslstats using the same settings.

Wall mountable just like the HG612, and almost the same size, with the benefit of a USB port for a 3G dongle.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DanielCoffey67
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-18 20:00:05
Print Post

[re: sidef] [link to this post]

I replaced my HG612 with a VMG3925-B10B.

Yes it needs the firmware flashing to V5.13(AAVF.10)C0 and you will need to crack the supervisor password to turn of TR069 phone home but the Kitz forum has all the details.

I have it in bridge mode connected to my ASUS RT-AC86U. Cables are from the master socket to the Zyxel, Zyxel LAN1 the ASUS WAN port and Zyxel LAN4 to my switch. The modem is set to 192.168.1.1 and the ASUS is set to 192.168.1.254.

I can use DSLstats to monitor the connection on my long rural line (3300m from cabinet) and the Zyxel is able to hold the same (or occasionally slightly better) speeds than the HomeHub 6 could. I am on a 40/2 connection and routinely get sync speeds of 8600/1120 to 9000/1120 on the Zyxel. It compares very well to the HH6.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Dec-18 20:36:40
Print Post

I have a Billion 8800NL R2 which worked fine but does clock up quite a lot of FECs, (non-critical on my line), and the SNRM varied noticeably but not dramatically.

It sync'ed at roughly the same speed as my AAISP-supplied VMG1312-B10A, which was a bit buggy as WG says. I flashed with the latest firmware from ZyXel, not from AAISP, and ran it in bridge mode into my ASUS RT-N66U. for many months, maybe a year. I didn't encounter any bugs.

FECs were hugely lowered compared to the Billion, down from 10s of thousands per 5 seconds on MyDSLStats normally below a hundred, and SNRM varying by steps of 0.5dB over a range of 1,5-2.0dB over 24 hours.

I've only stopped using it in that configuration because I have now ditched FTTC completely and am now tethering my mobile to my system either via the ASUS powered USB or as a wifi hotspot or USB into my laptop. Depending on needs.

The only real difficulty with setting up the ZyXel is that the instructions for bridging are very garbled. In fact IIRC written for it to be bridged into, not being the bridging unit. Even the DSL setup, which is closely connected, is a nightmare at first.

If you happen to go that way I can soon power it up and try to send some screen shots of it as when I was using it.

Banger also uses the same ZyXel with the same firmware as myself, bridging to whatever his router is.

Edit: I was able to turn off TR-069, but whether or not you can on the other (later) models, which others say you can't, I don't know.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 15-Dec-18 20:40:22)

Standard User DanielCoffey67
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-18 21:31:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You normally need the supervisor password to turn off TR069 I think but that can easily be found and then changed on a 3925.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Dec-18 22:16:06
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DanielCoffey67:
You normally need the supervisor password to turn off TR069 I think but that can easily be found and then changed on a 3925.
That isn't what I would expect smile. If easily found from the normal password it ceases to be a Supervisor one.

But I have not even looked for a Supervisor password on my 1312. I wonder if it had one?

It would be remarkable indeed if a purchaser of a retail ZyXel 3925 from an authorised dealer of such were not to know the Supervisor password. It would be in the documentation. Otherwise the purchaser does not have control of their purchase. Only ZyXel does.

I suggest that ISP-supplied instances have been adulterated by them, or by request to ZyXel as a bulk purchase, to make it known to the ISP but not the purchaser.

Flashing in the native firmware may or may not alter the "current" Supervisor password of course. But that the owner cannot know it if supplied as above makes no sense at all.

It would also be legally questionable for it to be withheld by whoever altered it before sale to the owner.

Provided as a loan or under lease from the ISP, as many routers were in the past, is of course a completely different matter. The end user isn't, and never was, the owner. As per the T & Cs "read and agreed to LMAO" before sale.

A buyer of a pre-used one from its current user/owner of course is unlikely to know the position of the kit in this respect.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 15-Dec-18 22:23:02)

Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Sun 16-Dec-18 12:21:17
Print Post

Hi, I had a similar setup, HG612 to Asus running Merlin on Sky Fibre. I tried 3 different devices to replace the HG612, I bought the Vigor 130 and didn't like it, was unstable on my line, I then tried the Billion 8800 NL R2, but as mentioned earlier I too had many errors on my line stats, I then tried the cheap TP-Link W9970 in bridge mode and it worked away fine....in the end I put my HG612 back in as it was super stable and just worked.
I moved home and no VDSL available so Virgin is now my ISP and I use a different setup now.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Dec-18 12:30:30
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

My line got very upset by a Vigor 130 as well. Also getting stats from it was a pig. It was sent back very quickly.

Both my HG612s sync’ed a few Mbps lower than the Vigor, Billion and ZyXel.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Dec-18 14:10:54
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

My VMG8924-B10A bought on ebay works fine and can be used in modem (bridge) mode. I run the latest firmware and am not troubled by firmware bugs. The Zyxel routers are much discussed on the Kitz forum.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to