Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User oldskool
(member) Tue 08-Jan-19 18:28:17
Print Post

Modem for better sync

[link to this post]

Iím on BT FTTC and Iím on bt infinity 1 (up to 55Mbps). My HH5A says my max rate is actually 55 and thatís what I sync at.

I have just switched to plusnet for price reasons. Itís up to 80Mbps and Iím not entirely sure wether I can squeeze much more speed from the line, last thing to try is the equipment.

(Itís in the master socket and all wiring has been updated).

Iím on an ECI cab.

HH5A Iím sure is a good match for the ECI cab afaik.

Today I purchased a TP-Link TD-W9970 - Broadcom chipset.

It seemed to get good sync speeds from the reviews Iíve read, although it doesnít use the best Broadcom chip like the billion 8800NL and the zxyel I hear mentioned. As I donít need advanced features, just a modem, I wondered if anyone had a comment on what Iíve ordered regarding expected sync speeds vs HH5 / plusnet one ... and if I should consider testing anything else - to see if I can make use of the extra speed headroom Iíll get when switching to plusnet.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Jan-19 18:39:12
Print Post

Re: Modem for better sync

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

On Huawei cab my W9970 increased the speeds once the DLM relented, i.e. was more stable and error free than providers kit. I have the modem in loft office then Ethernet running to Ethernet WAN port on ISP router on ground floor, which means better WiFi coverage and no internal phone wiring.

On an ECI hard to say, and if you were very error free before might be little or nothing to be clawed back.

Will say while its not the most exciting device, I actually don't remember when I last had to reboot it it is at least several months.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Jan-19 19:01:12
Print Post

Does your TP-Link TD-W9970 not show a max (attainable) downstream rate which could be more than the 55Mbps?

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User oldskool
(member) Tue 08-Jan-19 19:28:12
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

5. DSL uptime: 5 days, 08:51:03
6. Data rate: 9995 / 54994
7. Maximum data rate: 15152 / 54946
8. Noise margin: 9.3 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation: 27.3 / 19.7
10. Signal attenuation: 27.1 / 19.2

Iím not sure how to monitor errors on the HH5A

But I didn wonder if the max data rate was capped at 55 due to being on bt infinity 1 which is 55 too. But I think itís just a coincidence

All I will say is the HH5A has a habit of rebooting itself every 5-10 days. But everything in between is rock solid. Itís been up 5 days and itís the evening and the SNR is solid at 6 still, and it never fluctuates.

So like you said, Iím doubtful if the new tp-link router will gain me anything

Ps I havenít received it yet so I canít see itís max data rate

Also I went for Broadcom even on the ECI cab, as I read it seems to be very stable and even has higher sync for ECI connected lines. Plus my HH5A and the plusnet one router (which hasnít turned up yet) are both ECI chip routers. So it will be a good test against the TP-Link

Edited by oldskool (Tue 08-Jan-19 19:31:32)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Jan-19 20:25:40
Print Post

I have a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A connectetd to a Vodafone 38Mbps (40/10) service.
The router statistics show:

Line Rate: 7.506 Mbps 39.999 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 7.481 Mbps 40.000 Mbps
Attainable Net Data Rate: 7.481 Mbps 48.270 Mbps

which makes me think that I would get a faster spped if I transferred to BT.

Michael Chare
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Jan-19 21:17:47
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
which makes me think that I would get a faster speed if I transferred to BT.

Not much!

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync highest was 61/8 now 54/6
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Jan-19 21:28:57
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In my experience, about half the difference between the two.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User oldskool
(member) Wed 09-Jan-19 20:56:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just to report back - the new modem/router the TP-Link W9970 turned up.

I gained 1.5Mbps in sync. This is a 8:40pm sync so definitely not ideal. BT HH5A was reporting 54950 to 55050 before i disconnected and resynced as below.

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 9995 54998
Max Rate (Kbps) 15321 56475
SNR Margin (dB) 9.4 6.5
Line Attenuation (dB) 29.8 13.3

Current Rate capped at 55Mbps due to being on infinity 1.

So not sure if i'll gain any more even if i resync at 11am.

I guess i've learn't that a Broadcom chipset can outperform (at first glance) an ECI HH5A with ECI cabinet equipment.

I guess i'll keep it for when Plusnet arrives and by the sounds of it, it's very stable.

P.S. for £30 odd, its certainly a very good value modem. Even if it doesn't have the very best broadcom chipset your find in the older Billion 8800NL

Edited by oldskool (Wed 09-Jan-19 20:57:40)

Standard User oldskool
(member) Wed 09-Jan-19 21:12:31
Print Post

Any tips on how to turn this TP-Link into modem mode with an Apple airport extreme?

The apple AE is currently in bridge mode (so TP-Link is doing DHCP etc) - so on the Apple, the internet is via DHCP

I can switch the Apple to DHCP and NAT, but on the internet settings i have static and PPPOE.

I assume i choose static, and just put the IP of the modem in (once i've switched it into modem mode?)... but its asking for IPV4 Address AND Router Address. So i'm not entirely sure this is the correct option.

I ruled out DHCP as the modem doesn't do DHCP anymore and PPPOE is if you connect directly to the phone line i assume.

Thanks
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Jan-19 21:28:12
Print Post

Put the TP Link into 'bridge' mode (ie modem only mode) and choose PPPoE on the Apple router with DHCP enabled. Enter your PPPoE credentials on the Apple router and Bobs yer uncle smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to