Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PiKe
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Jan-19 13:52:17
Print Post

What could cause a router to reboot?

[link to this post]

Having tried 6 different routers, each having an issue where they randomly restart, be it on the mains power or via a UPS, is there anything related to the phoneline that could cause this behaviour?

The BT Hub 6 actually adds an entry into its log that states:

Current boot was caused by Power Reset

After the reset, could shorting the pairs cause it to happen?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Jan-19 15:24:07
Print Post

Re: What could cause a router to reboot?

[re: PiKe] [link to this post]

Shorting the pairs? Well should not be doing that and would confuse a system and might cause a reboot and might break something too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PiKe
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Jan-19 15:43:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm trying to ascertain what could cause the router to reboot as BT don't know.

I tried shorting the middle pair on the router itself but it doesn't seem to care, I have enough routers that they are expendable at this stage, I just want to get to the bottom of whats causing it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 23-Jan-19 15:53:14
Print Post

Hi

Domestic routers can often reboot, they are cheap and built to a low price point and are never considered mission critical by the manufacturer.

Things that can make them reboot:

Power problems
Software problems like memory leaks
Kernel panics, some low lever driver in the software causes a crash
Hardware problems, i.e. poorly designed hardware that causes the router to crash

It should be noted that what might be written in the log may not be the actual cause. For example the router may have a watchdog timer, this looks to see that the code is running as the code constantly updates a timer, so if the code freezes the timer fails to update so the watchdog will issue a reset, this may look like a power off/on to code that is writing the logs.

If you have something on your network that is opening a lot of connections/ports this could swamp out any chance of the inbuilt firewall/NAT keeping track of the them, with the area of ram allocated to keep track of all these filling up to full which may be treated as an unrecoverable fault and it crashes and resets. Something like this might explain why you have had issues with other routers.

How often do they restart? When you say different routers, what models have you tried? How many devices are connected?

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Wed 23-Jan-19 15:55:45)

Standard User PiKe
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Jan-19 15:55:53
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

BT Hub6
Fritzbox
Plusnet Hub one x2
Thompson Gateway
Openreach Modem + Router

Very underutilised connection, nothing running beyond streaming amazon or netflix, it will randomly reboot with no real pattern.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Jan-19 19:08:44
Print Post

Have you tried plugging into a different mains socket? Using a long extension cable if necessary because the router has to be where you have it now.

Are you always using the power supply cable that comes with each router, or always using the same one?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User PiKe
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Jan-19 19:22:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, it was actually in a completely different room whilst BT had changed the routing of the cable to avoid interference issues (but made no difference). The PSU is changed each time a new router is tried or purchased.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Thu 24-Jan-19 10:47:48
Print Post

Hi

How often are the reboots? It's not that unusual for domestic routers to reboot every several weeks for seemingly no apparent reason.

It could be you have some sort of denial of service attack happening, there are several that will cause routers to reboot, are you on a static IP address? If yes, it might be worth trying to get a change of IP address, if no, are you receiving the same IP address each time you connect, again if yes, you need to see if you can force a new IP address.

When you were on an Openreach Modem + Router, was it only the router rebooting in that case? If Yes, rules out anything interference I should think coming down your telephone line as it would have affected the modem.

I think you can rule out power issues given you have tried a UPS, and the switch mode power supplies used are pretty forgiving to brownouts etc anyway, and will often work quite happily at lower voltages and care little for any mains Hz frequency variation, this is why most power bricks work internationally (from 120v 60Hz upto 240v 50Hz) without any changes to settings etc.

To confirm, when you say reboots, do you mean the line is dropping and re-syncing or do you mean that the router is crashing and rebooting from scratch?

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Thu 24-Jan-19 10:51:28)

Standard User PiKe
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Jan-19 13:15:33
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

Router is rebooting according to the logs, the logs are either wiped, or the date resets to 1st jan until it can contact the NTP server. It's not just a line drop.

IP is dynamic, when the router+modem combo was used, I believe both would be restarted.

The resets occur at least once a day, sometimes several in a short space of time.

As there are 2 plusnet routers, they were both connected, one to the broadband and the other just to power, when the one connected to the broadband restarted, the other one did not - that in my mind would also rule out any issues with the power.
Standard User danielhyde
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-19 13:29:22
Print Post

Do you have anything connected to the LAN ports of the router?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to