User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User knownothingman
(learned) Thu 13-Jan-11 17:21:23
Print Post

Video slow in the evenings

[link to this post]

Hi.

I've been with Eclipse for years. I use youtube more than I used to and I've noticed how often the videos in the evening are very slow to load or sometimes never load. Is this acceptable? Would it be the same if I moved to another ISP?

I asked Eclipse about a youtube Video Speed History I ran. It showed an average speed for all Eclipse users of 2.9Mbps while the average for all ISPs in the UK was much faster at 4.43Mbps. A reason (excuse?) offered was that many Eclipse users come from rural areas (often far from the telephone exchange) in the south-west due to the history of Eclipse starting down there. Is that a reasonable explanation for their slow youtube speeds?

My speeds generally aren't bad perhaps on average about 3.5 - 4Mbps. I'm only a few hundred yards from the exchange although I know my line isn't the best.
ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Fri 14-Jan-11 09:24:21
Print Post

Re: Video slow in the evenings

[re: knownothingman] [link to this post]

Hi knownothingman,

I have to admit, this is an interesting one.

Are you finding anything else slow / intermittent in the evening? Have you tried using any of the other video streaming sites such as iPlayer in the evening?

Please feel free to pass me your account details if you'd like me to take a closer look.

Andy

eclipse internet - now 15 years old!
- Eclipse Fibre Broadband has now been launched. Up to 40Mbps, guaranteed 12Mbps throughput and free Business Talkmore.
- We've revised our referrer scheme. Recommend Eclipse and earn up to £80!

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User knownothingman
(learned) Fri 14-Jan-11 12:57:41
Print Post

[re: Eclipsestaff] [link to this post]

I don't use the BBC iplayer much. It's just watching youtube on my ipod touch. I haven't noticed any problem in the daytime with ipod touch and Eclipse.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alcockell
(newbie) Thu 10-Feb-11 19:45:58
Print Post

[re: knownothingman] [link to this post]

You may find iPlayer a lot faster- it would appear that the Beeb have an edge server within Eclipse's datacentres...
  Print Thread

Jump to