User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User boostar
(member) Thu 20-Jan-11 03:48:31
Print Post

FTTC Traffic Shaping

[link to this post]

So, since last week (at least) when downloading via torrent I hit a maximum of 60KB/s, roughly equating to 512kbps. This only happens between 9 am and 11 pm, strangely the "on peak" hours for Eclipse.

I can download at around 2MBps via HTTP or Steam, but torrents (at the same time) no chance.

18Mbps from the TBB speedtest while torrents languish at 512kb/s

I signed up (paying nearly £50 a month) for the FTTC offering with a 50gb on peak allowance (now 100gb) with unlimited off peak. It seems I would have been wiser going to BT, at least they are open about traffic shaping.

Before anyone trolls, heres an excerpt from the FTTC FAQ...
Q. Do Fair Usage Policies apply to Eclipse superfast fibre broadband?
A. We don't operate a Fair Usage Policy, but state usage limits clearly. Our products come with a fixed usage limit across a month, for daytime use. Between the hours of 11pm and 9am, however, we offer unlimited usage. This is Truly Unlimited, with no Fair Usage Policy, no throttling and no caps."

I haven't come close to exceeding my on-peak limit yet so the ball is in Eclipses court.

Edited by boostar (Thu 20-Jan-11 03:55:32)

ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Thu 20-Jan-11 10:52:55
Print Post

Re: FTTC Traffic Shaping

[re: boostar] [link to this post]

Hi boostar,

Would you be able to PM me your account details, so we could take a look in more depth?

Thanks

Andy

eclipse internet - now 15 years old!
- Eclipse Fibre Broadband has now been launched. Up to 40Mbps, guaranteed 12Mbps throughput and free Business Talkmore.
- We've revised our referrer scheme. Recommend Eclipse and earn up to £80!

Eclipse Website | Twitter

Edited by Eclipsestaff (Thu 20-Jan-11 12:00:04)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(isp) Thu 20-Jan-11 14:40:22
Print Post

[re: Eclipsestaff] [link to this post]

Just to follow up on this...

We did some checking after we saw the above post, and we did find something that may have been slowing down peoples torrent speeds.

This should now be sorted.

If you do have any further problems please feel free to drop me a line here, or to get in touch with ourselves on Technical Support.

Andy

- Eclipse Fibre Broadband has now been launched. Up to 40Mbps, guaranteed 12Mbps throughput and free Business Talkmore.

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chrisduk112
(newbie) Thu 20-Jan-11 14:43:21
Print Post

Andy

will this be fixed for everyone or just this customer? we sometimes use torrents to download LinuxISO's and found it can be slow.

Chris Danks
Cyber Host Pro Ltd
http://www.cyberhostpro.com
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Jan-11 15:32:11
Print Post

[re: chrisduk112] [link to this post]

Linux iso`s roflol

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User boostar
(member) Mon 24-Jan-11 00:44:24
Print Post

It has been fixed.

I didn't communicate with the Eclipse member of staff and the next day, fixed.

I will accept their version of events, very likely an "f up"
Standard User epilogue
(newbie) Mon 31-Jan-11 17:20:05
Print Post

I am having this exact same issue, starting around the same time as yourself. I have to say it's pretty annoying... Especially as most updater software for games and whatnot use bittorrent...
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 31-Jan-11 18:19:10
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

Everyone knows the net is for Pron.. laugh

o2 LLU
ROUTER:-DGN2000
Sync 17848D 1412U Annex A
Att:-35.0dB Down 17.4dB Up
SNR:-1.5dB Down 3.1dB Up
(isp) Tue 01-Feb-11 17:07:10
Print Post

[re: epilogue] [link to this post]

Hi epilogue,

Sounds odd. What type of speeds are you seeing after 11pm?

Would you be able to PM me your account details so we can take a closer look?

Thanks

Andy

Standard User pony1982
(newbie) Wed 02-Feb-11 20:04:55
Print Post

I'm having the same problem on Eclipse - the maximum torrent speeds I'm getting are around 55KB/s. This has only happened in the last week or so. I am not on FTTC, but on standard broadband. Similar to Boostar, I haven't come close to my usage limits yet either.

Thanks

In reply to a post by boostar:
So, since last week (at least) when downloading via torrent I hit a maximum of 60KB/s, roughly equating to 512kbps. This only happens between 9 am and 11 pm, strangely the "on peak" hours for Eclipse.

I can download at around 2MBps via HTTP or Steam, but torrents (at the same time) no chance.

18Mbps from the TBB speedtest while torrents languish at 512kb/s

I signed up (paying nearly £50 a month) for the FTTC offering with a 50gb on peak allowance (now 100gb) with unlimited off peak. It seems I would have been wiser going to BT, at least they are open about traffic shaping.

Before anyone trolls, heres an excerpt from the FTTC FAQ...
Q. Do Fair Usage Policies apply to Eclipse superfast fibre broadband?
A. We don't operate a Fair Usage Policy, but state usage limits clearly. Our products come with a fixed usage limit across a month, for daytime use. Between the hours of 11pm and 9am, however, we offer unlimited usage. This is Truly Unlimited, with no Fair Usage Policy, no throttling and no caps."

I haven't come close to exceeding my on-peak limit yet so the ball is in Eclipses court.
  Print Thread

Jump to