User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User swam22
(newbie) Mon 07-Feb-11 17:07:04
Print Post

Throttled Torrent Speeds

[link to this post]

Hi,

Is anybody else having their torrent speeds throttled during the day? Mine will peak at around 55k/s and not rise any higher. I have tested this with multiple files from multiple sites and they do all share the 55k/s, so if I have 5 torrents running the 55k/s will be split over them all.

I can download via http at around 1mb - 1.5mb a second, and this is what I use to get with my torrent downloads.

I've seen that Eclipse representatives use this forum, so I was hoping they could assist me in anyway.

thanks

Sam
ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Mon 07-Feb-11 17:09:15
Print Post

Re: Throttled Torrent Speeds

[re: swam22] [link to this post]

Hi Sam,

Is your traffic profile is set to "Downloader" within the traffic controller on the Eclipse website?

Please feel free to PM me with your account details if you continue to have problems.

Andy

eclipse internet - now 15 years old!
- Eclipse Fibre Broadband has now been launched. Up to 40Mbps, guaranteed 12Mbps throughput and free Business Talkmore.
- We've revised our referrer scheme. Recommend Eclipse and earn up to £80!

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User swam22
(newbie) Mon 07-Feb-11 17:12:52
Print Post

[re: Eclipsestaff] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. My profile was set to 'custom' and had been for quite a while, but I have changed this over to 'downloader' to see if it takes any effect after the 15 minutes it states.

thanks

Sam

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ChrisSlayers
(newbie) Sun 13-Feb-11 10:07:33
Print Post

You aren't alone in this. I've been on Business Gold for a few years, and a change came in just before xmas that meant all p2p, adc, and certain vpn connections are throttled to around 50k/s regardless of the sliders in the connection panel.

I'm having to use vpn over http-tunnel to get past the restriction. It was so poor at one point I was raising support calls to have my line reprofiled because I thought it must be a fault on the line, until I realised that web traffic was still running at normal speeds.

Business Gold isn't what it was.

Andy, you can check me on na790959 if you like, but I can't see what you can do that the rest of the tech team can't.
(isp) Mon 14-Feb-11 16:43:08
Print Post

[re: ChrisSlayers] [link to this post]

Hi Chris.

Looking at the line checks that my colleagues ran, it does look like there was an issue with your line when you originally called us. But testing your line at the moment does show your connection profile is currently set to 5.5 meg (as opposed to 350k that it was at one point).

I have just manually set your traffic to "downloader". Could you check your connection again for me please, and let me know how it goes?

Many Thanks

Andy

- Eclipse Fibre Broadband has now been launched. Up to 40Mbps, guaranteed 12Mbps throughput and free Business Talkmore.

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(newbie) Mon 14-Feb-11 20:02:30
Print Post

adc/vpn connections indeed rise above 55k in Downloader, but I have no ability to prioritise web/email over p2p in this mode. Is there any way that the p2p slider can be made to work in Custom Mode once more? On the bright side, at least I'm currently protocol agnostic, so everything does now at least work, so thank you for that, very much appreciated.
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 08:54:15
Print Post

As an addendum, as soon as 08:30 hit, the speed dropped to around 25-30k/s, as if all connections were being throttled, but with *spikes* that jump to around 100k/s briefly. However, web connections were stable at 360k/s. My conclusion based on this admittedly flimsy evidence is that adc/p2p/vpn protocols are now only available in Downloader profile, and this is in a general population regardless of your package. This is probably fine for people who like to download stuff overnight, but it screws with the idea of a Business Gold package where you might want to do adc/vpn during, for example, trading hours? luckily my previous vpn over http tunel is unaffected, so I appreciate that I can at least continue as I was before, but it is a disappointing and concerning change that you've brought in.
(isp) Tue 15-Feb-11 11:48:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by ChrisSlayers:
As an addendum, as soon as 08:30 hit, the speed dropped to around 25-30k/s, as if all connections were being throttled,

Would you be able to confirm what protocols were seeing the drop in speed at that time?

I do apologise for any inconvenience that needing your connection set to "downloader" has caused you.

Andy

(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 15:49:40
Print Post

L2TP is the one I most need, although I do also like to use ADC. BitTorrent is also affected, but I don't care so much for that in the daytime anyway.
(isp) Tue 15-Feb-11 19:17:05
Print Post

Hi Chris,

I'd like to get one of the Technical Support Seniors to look into this. Could you PM me a contact number for us to get in touch with you on?

Thanks

Andy

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to