User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bagginsbras
(newbie) Tue 22-Mar-11 11:48:57
Print Post

Eclipse Internet Cancellation and Exit Charges

[link to this post]

My mainstream work is designing data systems for large corporates, but to put something back into the community I try to help out local groups and micro businesses with zero profit broadband, web hosting, emails etc

Had 2 connections with Eclipse for over 3 years but dropped to very poor in last 12 months or so. By very poor I mean a few hours per month of no service at all and 2 days per week whereby the speed (where 4M is easily achived) droped to 128K -> 1k (for several hours). Customer service were painfully slow to respond if at all.

Migrated one connection to Zen - all working fine now @ 4M and everybody happy.

The second connection, we moved to mobile broadband with THREE, so we cancelled the BT line (phone not required and only 14 days notice - ok) and went to cancel Eclipse connection. Eclipse seem to cloak their cancellation policy in mystery. Very litte information provided on their site except that you have to call their cancellation team.

Cancellation: It turns out that they need at least 30 days notice and so you are required to pay up to your next billing date and then also pay for the next monthly period after that. As we were half way through a month this ended up being ~ £23. Now had it said this on their webiste (perhaps in the paragraph on cancellation) I could have timed the cancellation to just before the new month started. Also consider that even BT only require 14 days notice and in fact in this case we had terminated the BT line before the last month of Eclipse began.

That's not my confusion / complaint though. Customer is now getting threatening letters from Eclipse debt collection. They are claiming that £30 is still due even though we paid all the rental charges. Debt team can't explain the charge and refuse to discuss with Eclipse customer service. After a week Eclipse Customer service have explained that this is a cease fee that they are charged by their suppliers (presumably BT?)

We would be grateful if anyone from Eclipse or with better insight than us could help with the following.....

1. Since there was no phone line connection, what is anyone doing to that needs £30 to cover the cost ?
2. There was no mention of the cease charge in the T's & C's in 2006 when the account/connection was set-up ?

Note: asked Zen about cancellation exit fees and they said there are none, so it would have been cheaper to migrate to Zen pay for a month's broadband and then cancel !! (though not very nice for Zen - whom we like)
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Tue 22-Mar-11 21:55:25
Print Post

Re: Eclipse Internet Cancellation and Exit Charges

[re: bagginsbras] [link to this post]

I believe that most ISP's charge a "cease" fee but some don't. Should be in the T&C's somewhere.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User zedbong
(regular) Wed 23-Mar-11 06:35:03
Print Post

Eclipse are a joke ISP now, especially compared to what they were a few years ago. I swapped from Eclipse to Zen back then due to repeated technical support failures and have never looked back.

A friend of mine is currently trying to escape Eclipse's clutches. He thought he'd finally cleared up the terms of leaving when they quite clearly reassured him on the phone that his account was closed and that his ballance was zero a month ago, then a month later he's getting threatning letters saying he owes a months subs and that they 'will take further steps' if he doesn't pay right away....

It's clear that the one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing at Eclipse because the letter doesn't say he owes just like a final month or whatever, it asks him to set up a direct debit!! For a service he terminated a month ago LOL..

Awful service, patronising and awful customer services, and billing. You are better off away from them in my opinion, but be prepared for a few months of harrasment even after you finally think you've left them frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 23-Mar-11 09:44:39
Print Post

[re: zedbong] [link to this post]

Thx for feedback zedbong, I'm not alone in that opinion then. frown
(newbie) Wed 23-Mar-11 09:50:26
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Thx bb66. There was no mention in the original T's & C's from 2006, I think they introduced such charges later. However they didn't notify us / we weren't aware of this change until we cancelled, and it wasn't within the sparse website cancellation page.

I suppose we could hold out on that technicality although it'll probably create more than £30 worth of hassle.
ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Wed 23-Mar-11 16:42:37
Print Post

Hi bagginsbras,

Sorry for the delay in picking up on this.

The 30 pound cease charge covers the BT cost involved in stopping the ADSL service.

In regards to the T's & C's, I think these do vary based on which package you have and the time in which you start the package. I would probably be best asking our Customer Service team to look into this for us.

Would you be able to PM me your account details?

Many Thanks

Andy

eclipse internet - now 15 years old!
- Eclipse Line Rental - Now available to existing customers.
- The Eclipse Referrer Scheme. Recommend Eclipse and earn up to £80!

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User zedbong
(regular) Thu 24-Mar-11 05:02:08
Print Post

[re: Eclipsestaff] [link to this post]

You know it's a pretty poor show when the only way you can get a satisfactory resolution to a problem with a company's customer service department is by posting about your problems on a public forum and having their customer service representitive ask you to PM you the details (details that the OP has already lodged with said customer service dept).

So in summary, the public face of Eclipse CS (here on this widely read forum) is that they will do anything to help, but the private face is that they send threatening letters to their customers. Nice.
Standard User Sceptic
(experienced) Thu 24-Mar-11 16:51:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by zedbong:
You know it's a pretty poor show when the only way you can get a satisfactory resolution to a problem with a company's customer service department is by posting about your problems on a public forum and having their customer service representitive ask you to PM you the details (details that the OP has already lodged with said customer service dept).

So in summary, the public face of Eclipse CS (here on this widely read forum) is that they will do anything to help, but the private face is that they send threatening letters to their customers. Nice.

I'm not an eclipse customer any more and certainly not their biggest fan, but flaming the official eclipse rep here when he is trying to help customers is not the best idea.

I support any ISP reps who post on public forums as most have ceased to do so due to hostile posting.
Standard User zedbong
(regular) Thu 24-Mar-11 17:23:33
Print Post

[re: Sceptic] [link to this post]

You have completely and spectacularly missed the point.

The poor show isn't that the Eclipse rep is replying here, but rather that it's managed to reach here before being delt with via proper support channels.
Standard User Sceptic
(experienced) Thu 24-Mar-11 18:23:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by zedbong:
You have completely and spectacularly missed the point.

Alas so have you.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to